D50 Not Consistently Auto Focusing

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Guess I'm a little late to this party.
I would have advised against the ebay bundles and the grey market.
In fact,I would have told you not to buy anything until you did a little more research.

Guess I'm a little late to this party.
I would have advised against the ebay bundles and the grey market.
In fact,I would have told you not to buy anything until you did a little more research.
Well since he mentioned he already pulled the trigger didn't see much need myself, but yup.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Why have you both advised against the decision?

Is eBay known for counterfeit cameras?

Why have you both advised against the decision?

Is eBay known for counterfeit cameras?

No, the camera and kit lens will be fine I'm sure. I don't usually recommend bundle deals from Ebay because most of what is in the bundle is usually very cheaply made stuff that really isn't worth buying. For example the two extra "lenses" in this kit aren't really lenses, they are cheaply made items that screw onto the actual lens, and the image quality is usually so bad that most people use them once or twice and then discard them.

The tripods included are also very cheap, chinese made products that likely won't last long if you use them much at all. But the camera and lens itself aren't counterfeit, they are just making a lot of money off of you for the extras, that's all.

A lot of people are not in favor of this specific type of bundle...I dunno, you get a D5200 body, battery,charger, body cap, strap,lens cap, 18-55 lens, and a mini-pod, a small tripod, some cleaning stuff, the remove release, and a bag, and the two thread-on lens accessories (which are rather cheezy), for $399. This is NOS, or New Old Stock stuff. YOU GAIN a huge number of features over the D50 you have been shooting! The D5200 was once several hundred dollars more expensive than it is now. I personally think buying one or two generations back at a huge discount over the original retail introductory price is a very smart way to buy a camera, especially if you're a casual user, OR you want to buy an originally $899 camera for like $399 with a bunch of accessories.

Are the accessories top-grade? NO. But they are there. Flash, bag, remote, mini-pod, medium pod, etc.. And again, many photography forum people will advise against these bundles, in favor of much higher cost outfits.

Nikon D50 vs Nikon D5200 Detailed Comparison

You get: VIDEO! An articulated screen that is a 3" model, not 2 inches! A microphone input. Built-in time lapse recording, 5 fps shooting, Maximum ISO is 25,600, not just 1,600 ISO. You've gone from an outdated 6MP CCD sensor to a 24 million pixel CMOS sensor. You have face detection autofocusing, and a top LCD panel. The LCD screen used to be one of the ancient 130k dot, 2 inch screens--the new camera has a 3 incher, with 921k dots--the rear LCD on the 5200 is like a jet aircraft compared to a Wright Flyer. And ALL of the new goodness is in almost the same exact size of compact body! ALmost IDENTICALLY sized, but the 5200 is heavier, because it is a better built body.

Last edited:
I was looking at a lot of the 5200s with just the kit lens and they were all upwards of $400. Then I came across this bundle for the same price, figured why not. Thanks everyone!

In all honesty,the bundle isn't what would concern me.
It's more the lack of a warranty on repairs.
Although,I absolutely agree with buying a generation or two back for NOS.
But,I think what I would have done in the OP's situation is shoot and learn on the D50,save a few more bucks up,and go for a factory refurbed D7100.
Just my opinion.

So I don't have the funds for something spectacular, but I could swing $430 for this package:

Canon EOS Rebel T5 1200D SLR Camera + 3 Lens 18-55 IS +24GB KIT & More Brand New

T5 looks to be much better. Canon appears to be on the forefront of tech. Thoughts?
Canon T5 is using a 6+ years old sensor, its older technology and it shows, yes its better then the D50 but a Nikon D3200 or Nikon D3300 with a 24MP modern Sony sensor has the advantage both in low light performance and dynamic range.
I wouldn't recommend a Canon crop sensor DSLR unless its a T6i or T6S, models bellow it still use Canon old 18MP sensor which as I said is over 6 years old.

So, pulled the trigger on this. Thanks for the recommendations:

Nikon D5200 Digital SLR Camera + 3 Lens Kit 18-55mm + 16GB Amazing Value Bundle
Congrats, the D5200 is an excellent camera, very good low light performance and excellent dynamic range.
The difference between the D50 and D5200 is huge, you will feel the difference right away.
399$ is a very good price, most of what you are getting in this bundle is crap btu who cares, you are getting an excellent camera and the rest you can use or throw away.

Enjoy :)

The D5200 is an excellent camera and at that price I really don't see any problem with warranty issues, if it works when you receive it then you should be able to get your moneys worth out of it.

That body will definitely will eliminate some of the headache of trying to make that older D50 do things it just can't do.

All that extra stuff in the bundle are things that even if you didn't buy them then some family member would probably give to you as a present at some time, I've always had a box of this stuff and every so often one of those items comes in handy in some way.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back