d50 or rebel xt

tsacain

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Edit: Sorry about the title I mean d40.

I am pretty new to photography, 4 or 5 months. I as of now have a kodak easy share z7590. It is pretty good for how much we paid and being a point and shoot. But I have told myself that if I still like photography in a couple of months then I will invest in a better camera. I have been looking at the canon rebel xt or a nikon d40. I know that the mp are different but are there any real benefits that justify the cost difference? I just put every picture to 1280 x 1024 anyways. Which one would you get or is there another camera for the same price range that you would recommend. I am 18 so, I cant justify a really expensive camera. Any help would be appriciated, thanks.

I have also added the olympus evolt e-500 to the list. It is in my price range and comes with 2 lenses.

tsacain,

I just got my D40 Wednesday and I'm very pleased with it. I had my heart set on a D80 but the wife wasn't to happy w/me wanting to spend $1200. So I settled with the D40 and I'm happy with it. (Maybe later this year I'll pick up the D80.... or maybe the D200) Prior to my D40 I owned a Canon Rebel Ti 35mm and a Sony P/S.

Check out this review on the D40:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/

And one on the Canon Rebel:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/

Forget about the megapixel difference. The best thing to do is go hold both of them and see which one feels better to you. Nikon vs. Canon???? It comes down to which you prefer BOTH are excellent cameras.

Thanks for the response. Does anyone know if one of these cameras will give you sharper images than another, or anything like that?

The Rebel will give you slightly sharper pictures, if you can believe Phil Askey and his scientific tests over at dpreview.com. (go look up his reviews)

But the Canon will probably feel very small to you & not fill your hand out properly like the Nikon will. I think I'd go for the D50 over the D40 though. (it'll accept more lenses)

Most reactions

Back