D50 vs D70 vs D80

Claff

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.claffie.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The missus wants a serious camera after borring my D100 to shoot a stock car race at Lime Rock Park last weekend. We're not made of money enough to get what I'd really like (D2x), but I figure a D50 would be adequate for sports photography as well as the occasional artsy-fartsy shot.

Then we see the D70 and D80. They're both OK budget-wise but I haven't quite figured out what makes one better than the other. Better put, is there something on the D80 that isn't on the D70 that you can't live without, and the same with both the 70 and 80 relative to the D50?

First of all, go with the D80 over the D70 any day. Larger, Lower-Noise Sensor, Larger Viewfinder, Better AF system with more points...... it kills it. The D50 is a great camera for those on a budget, and will make great shots up to at least 11x14 (and honestly, how many people really use more than that - heck, how many digital shooters even make prints anymore). The cheif complaints about it in relation to the D80 are:
  1. Lack of Depth of Field Preview
  2. Lack of LCD Backlight for the top LCD for night shooting
  3. Lack of Flash Commander functionality for controlling off-camera flashes (you must mount an SU-800 or SB-800 on the camera for this)
Some also prefer the D80's Magnesium body to the D50's Polycarbonate, but the D50 is still very well built and will survive most falls without issue. If you don't need DOF preview or Flash Commander, the D50 will serve you incredibly well. If you want the resolution and AF boost and can afford it, the D80 is a hell of a camera. But you can get stunning shots out of either.

Tiberius said:
the D80's Magnesium body to the D50's Polycarbonate, but the D50 is still very well built and will survive most falls without issue. .

I was under the impression that the D200 has the metal body. I thought the D80 was plastic like the others.

fmw said:
I was under the impression that the D200 has the metal body. I thought the D80 was plastic like the others.
You're right, the D200 is the lowest of the Nikon line with a metal body, D50-D70-D80 are all plastic.

I bought a D50 and it has been taken over by my wife (also have a Canon 20D). She loves it. Does everything she needs it for (likes macro). It was a reconditioned one from a real retailer off ebay. I paid $450 for it. Could not tell it was used or reconditioned. Not a problem with it. She has been looking at the newer Nikons and says she is still happy with the D50 and can wait until the next batch of new digitals come out before upgrading (what ever comes after D80 / D200). I was thinking of D200 or D2x for myself but its getting time for the D2x to have a replacement. So I am going to hold out as well. I have no complaints with the Canon, just I have 10x more nikon equipment than I have Canon.

benhasajeep said:
but its getting time for the D2x to have a replacement.

The D2Xs was just released, so it's going to be a litte while before it gets replaced again.

Just remember the D80 takes SD cards so you will have to start all over with new memory. If you don't have alot already that's fine I guess but me personally if my wife was going to get a DSLR of her own I would want our memory to be cross-compatible. I say give her the D100 and buy yourself a D200.

dsp921 said:
The D2Xs was just released, so it's going to be a litte while before it gets replaced again.

Actually I think the D2xs is just a stop gap. With canon's normal consumer / advanced consumer models creeping up on Nikons top of the line model, I am sure they have something in the works. But when I said replacement I meant in a year or so. Nikon is aways hush hush about what they are working on so its hard to tell. I have been a die hard Nikon guy since I was in highschool. But I think that they are slipping a little farther back since they use chips by other manufacturers. They can only come out with a new item when others do. I have added Canon to my collection so no matter what happens in the future. I will have the top two manufactures covered lens wise incase one makes a camera I absolutely have to have.

benhasajeep said:
Actually I think the D2xs is just a stop gap. With canon's normal consumer / advanced consumer models creeping up on Nikons top of the line model, I am sure they have something in the works. But when I said replacement I meant in a year or so.

OK, a year or 18 months I'll agree with.

Most reactions

Back