D500 Sd CardSlot

baturn

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just got the D500 and don't have an XQD card yet. With only the SD card mounted is it possible to save raw images. Can't seem to find it in manual or menus.

Should save whatever file format to whatever card is in there if you only have a single card loaded. Is it giving you an error?

Yes
I only use an SD and save RAW images to it.
Turn on your LCD,
then use the QUAL button on the top left plus rotating a command dial to set your Image Quality
RAW, FINE*, FINE, etc.

it will show on the shoulder LCD and the Viewfinder too but not as much detail as on the LCD.

The buffer is so deep on the D500 I haven't bothered getting a XQD card yet.

oh .. before you ask
when you go to format the SD card (or QXD)
you select format card using the selection pad
then to press the OK you have to push the specific "OK" button on the left set of vertical buttons. Just pushing down on the selection pad does absolutely Nothing other than clear off the menu.

You'll have to get used to using the "OK" button on the left.
and not just pushing down on the selection pad ... that is "OK" on the D750, D6x0, d7x00, etc but NOT the D500.

Thanks a ton! Don't know how I missed that. Maybe age related.

It's in the Photo Shooting Menu too.

Congrats on the D500.
Thanks. I've only had it 24 hrs. very first impression - Wow! That view finder. Will play with it some over the next few days but can see no reason why I won't be pleased as punch. I got the 200 - 500 to go with it, so looking forward to some nice weather for getting out in the field.

Congrats on the D500.
Thanks. I've only had it 24 hrs. very first impression - Wow! That view finder. Will play with it some over the next few days but can see no reason why I won't be pleased as punch. I got the 200 - 500 to go with it, so looking forward to some nice weather for getting out in the field.
what was your old camera ?

Congrats on the D500.
D7100 and Sigma 150 -500.
Had a chance to play with the new setup for a bit today. Amazing frame rate. Haven't really had the opportunity to push the ISO but so far , compared to the D7100 the performance is excellent. Really can't wait to put it through its paces.

What about doing the two-button card format on the D500?

Like others have said yes it's save RAW to SD .When you can get a QXD card It really makes a big big difference in using the camera to its capabilities.

Congrats on the D500.
D7100 and Sigma 150 -500.
Had a chance to play with the new setup for a bit today. Amazing frame rate. Haven't really had the opportunity to push the ISO but so far , compared to the D7100 the performance is excellent. Really can't wait to put it through its paces.
I used to have the D7000, and I had the Sigma 150-500 with both the D7000 and D600. Since then I upped to the Tamron 150-600 v1 and the D750 and D500.

here's my shootout between the D750 and D500 in bad low lighting ==> D500 vs D750 Indoor Soccer Shootout

The mirror mechanism is so nice on the D500. I love shooting with it on just that. But the 2 cameras are holding their own in specific areas.

You'll enjoy it from the D500. A friend of mine that does equestrian had a d7100, tried the D500 and couldn't go back. Was always having too many missed shots mostly from buffer overload.

What about doing the two-button card format on the D500?
Is that the ISO + DELETE buttons ?
I've never tried it.

Yes, and both say FORMAT in small, red letters; one button on the back left by Trashcan, and the other on the top right deck, by ISO. Press both buttons and firmly hold them in, and the camera will begin formatting the card. This is the way Nikon has done it on the pro bodies since the D1. It allows the user to avoid menu-diving, and allows an easy,reliable way to format with the two-button format operation.

Most reactions

Back