D5000 vs. D90

splitarrow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi first post here and I'm in the market for my first dslr. I have narrowed it down to the D5000 and the D90. I plan on mainly using it for sports of all sorts. money isn't that important but I would pick the D5000 if it isn't that much different from the D90. I do plan on getting more heavily involved in photography also. So which camera do you guys think would be better for me?
and please no recommendations about any other cameras.

Thanks!

OH jeez, please go with the D90! :D Because, if you're looking to get deeper into photography than that'll be a great camera for you to start off with. Since it provides a built in AF motor, as well as decent ISO performance and a nice burst fire mode. You'll be glad you went with it. And if you want, you could do some video... it won't be up to par with Canon, but it'll still be good enough to record some football or soccer games in.

Nikon is just now adding video to their cameras. Their video is maxed out at 24 FPS and only shoots in 720p, whereas Canon's cameras often shoot video in 1080p and have higher potential frame rates on some of their cameras.

Despite that, I still shoot with Nikon Cameras because...well, I'm a photographer and not a videographer. I still highly recommend Nikon, but that's just my personal preference.

-DJ

I don't need a Dslr with video. If I wanna take video I'd get a video camera. I'm almost positive I'd never use the video feature.

Hi first post here and I'm in the market for my first dslr. I have narrowed it down to the D5000 and the D90. I plan on mainly using it for sports of all sorts. money isn't that important but I would pick the D5000 if it isn't that much different from the D90. I do plan on getting more heavily involved in photography also. So which camera do you guys think would be better for me?

Thanks!

D90 over the d5000, but if your main area of focus is sports photography I would suggest a Canon 40d or 50d. The Canon will give more frames per second and pretty much the same image quality.

It basically boils down to your needs. The d5000 and d90 are better with high ISO, but are slower than the Canon cameras suggested.

The Canon cameras are faster in terms of FPS, but the high ISO isn't as clean, but still usable. The 40d and 50d are also more robust bodies.

I own the D5000, i was in your shoes asked this question myself. NOW i look back and wish i would have gone with the D90, ONLY because the Auto focus motor or whatever in it. theres a lot of lenses the D5000 wont AF with. which sucks. thats my only nitpick. Love my camera though :)

Thanks!

D90 over the d5000, but if your main area of focus is sports photography I would suggest a Canon 40d or 50d. The Canon will give more frames per second and pretty much the same image quality.

It basically boils down to your needs. The d5000 and d90 are better with high ISO, but are slower than the Canon cameras suggested.

The Canon cameras are faster in terms of FPS, but the high ISO isn't as clean, but still usable. The 40d and 50d are also more robust bodies.

So if i need good quality at high iso go with nikon? I'll need good performance at higher iso because a lot of my shooting will be at my local high school's gym.

Nikon is just now adding video to their cameras. Their video is maxed out at 24 FPS and only shoots in 720p, whereas Canon's cameras often shoot video in 1080p and have higher potential frame rates on some of their cameras.

Despite that, I still shoot with Nikon Cameras because...well, I'm a photographer and not a videographer. I still highly recommend Nikon, but that's just my personal preference.

-DJ

Haha you don't know much about cameras do you? Nikon was the first to add video to a DSLR in the world with the release of the D90.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back