D5000 vs new D3100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raian-san

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay guys I try to search everywhere but there's not much review or debate between the two camera. I just bought the D5000 a few days ago and I have a few days to return it. I just came across the news of the D3100 coming out soon. I just want honest opinion what I should do, keep the D5000 or return it and wait for the 3100. I plan to do some video shooting on the camera and the 1080P and auto focus would be great for me but I also want to take great photo. I plan on getting a really good HD camcorder later on but I'm a college student that spent a lot on other stuff and personal life. What is your opinion? Please help because I only have a few days left. any advice is appreciated.

Okay guys I try to search everywhere but there's not much review or debate between the two camera. I just bought the D5000 a few days ago and I have a few days to return it. I just came across the news of the D3100 coming out soon. I just want honest opinion what I should do, keep the D5000 or return it and wait for the 3100. I plan to do some video shooting on the camera and the 1080P and auto focus would be great for me but I also want to take great photo. I plan on getting a really good HD camcorder later on but I'm a college student that spent a lot on other stuff and personal life. What is your opinion? Please help because I only have a few days left.

There's no review because the camera was literally just announced few days ago. But from the look of the specs, you're better off returning the D5000. Video on the D5000/D90 is pretty sad. So if you're planning to shot video, that alone is a reason to switch.

Video quality will definitely be better with the D3100. The D3100 will also shoot at a higher ISO which I am hoping will be a cleaner image than the D5000's.

Video quality will definitely be better with the D3100. The D3100 will also shoot at a higher ISO which I am hoping will be a cleaner image than the D5000's.

Higher iso...no it won't. 3200 is as high as they both go...Hi1 and Hi2 are not true iso...fake computer simulated, unusable iso.

I would probably return and wait for reviews (a month or so) before getting the D3100. I'm sure it will be better knowing Nikon, but I'd rather wait and see...you never know, it could be a dog in real life and only better on paper.

No matter if it is CPU enhanced or actual ISO sensitivity of a sensor ISO12800 is still greater than ISO6400 in my book.

It sounds like the d3100 is a better choice. Not only does it shoot in full HD (1080p), it also has continuous AF in video. Since video seems to be important to you, this is an equally important feature.

More important to me, though, is the increased resolution. D5000 has 10.2 megapixels, while the new D3100 has 14.2 MP. That's a huge increase in photo clarity and this is crucial if you plan to use Photoshop to crop images at all.

Lastly, they say the D3100 will come in a package with 2 VR lenses - the 18-55 (f 3.5-5.6) and a 55-200 (f 4.5-5.6).

Here's what I would do...wait a few months if you can. The big department stores and electronic big boxes will likely start selling the kit with the two lenses hopefully with a bit of competitive pricing (then again, Christmas is around the corner). But this cooling off time will also allow you to read the reviews that will come out.

No matter if it is CPU enhanced or actual ISO sensitivity of a sensor ISO12800 is still greater than ISO6400 in my book.

Can't argue with your opinion, but reality is that you will never use 12800....it is a long run with Nikon's that the highest "fake" iso setting is so grainy it is unusable...merely a marketing ploy. 6400 will probably be useless on both cameras for 95% of the shots, but if you are all after what the camera claims it can do over what it can actually perform well, more power to ya.

It sounds like the d3100 is a better choice. Not only does it shoot in full HD (1080p), it also has continuous AF in video. Since video seems to be important to you, this is an equally important feature.

More important to me, though, is the increased resolution. D5000 has 10.2 megapixels, while the new D3100 has 14.2 MP. That's a huge increase in photo clarity and this is crucial if you plan to use Photoshop to crop images at all.

Lastly, they say the D3100 will come in a package with 2 VR lenses - the 18-55 (f 3.5-5.6) and a 55-200 (f 4.5-5.6).

Here's what I would do...wait a few months if you can. The big department stores and electronic big boxes will likely start selling the kit with the two lenses hopefully with a bit of competitive pricing (then again, Christmas is around the corner). But this cooling off time will also allow you to read the reviews that will come out.

D5000 has 12.3mp not 10.2. Not so big a jump from 12.3 to 14.2. D5000 could be purchased in the package with those two lenses as well.

I'm not arguing that the D3100 looks like a great improvement over the D3000 (not as much on the D5000 though still an improvement on paper).....I'm just saying it will be nice to see how it works in the real world.

On paper, the Canon 50d blew away the 40d.....in the real world, most users wish they had stuck wtih the 40d though as the increases on paper resulted in poorer performance in reality.

That's not true- the D5000 is 12.3 megapixels.

IMO, the increase in resolution is not that great from 12 to 14 for the average shooter. If you're trying to be a pro, maybe. But then you should be looking at the pro bodies that are doing 18+ MP.

It comes down to what you need your camera for... the OP suggested video is important, so that may be his deciding factor. But then again- what kind of video?

I just got my D5000 and the video is great for me? Why? My other hobby is golf- camera is great at taking swing videos, from a tripod with a fixed manual focus for a video that lasts 3 seconds- perfect! The average video shooter will want more than the D5000's video features offer, though.

As far as a still camera, let's not forget that this is not the D5100 it is the D3100- there is a reason they decided to put the new camera into that line of models- because it is more like the D3000 than the D5000.

You still have to look at the cameras other features, menus, and capabilities. I get the impression (obviously without actually having seen or used a D3100) that it is more entry level than the D5000 is (which is also entry level)- if that makes any sense.

As these cameras cross more into the realm of "imaging computer" than camera, photographers have to deal with what us computer guys have dealt with for 20+ years now... do I buy/keep/use what I have or upgrade to the next version? If you do, you will constantly be chasing "the next version."

I've discovered it is better to be on the leading edge than on the bleeding edge.

Look, the D5000 is a great camera. So is the D3000, D3100 (hopefully), the D90, etc. There will always be another camera model coming out.

But I guarantee I can take a great picture with my old Minolta Maxxum 7000 and a roll of Kodachrome 25! How do you take a great picture? F8 and be there.

And what you'll find is that F8 at 1/125 is F8 at 1/125 no matter what camera you're using.

Who knows, after you trade in the D5000 for a D3100, what happens in 3 months if they come out with the D5100? Then you'll be kicking yourself!

D5000 has 12.3mp not 10.2. Not so big a jump from 12.3 to 14.2. D5000 could be purchased in the package with those two lenses as well.

I'm not arguing that the D3100 looks like a great improvement over the D3000 (not as much on the D5000 though still an improvement on paper).....I'm just saying it will be nice to see how it works in the real world.

On paper, the Canon 50d blew away the 40d.....in the real world, most users wish they had stuck wtih the 40d though as the increases on paper resulted in poorer performance in reality.

Mea Culpa! You're right - I was thinking about the older D3000 - it had 10.2 mp but, yes, the D5000 does have 12.3. Still about 2 mp greater resolution on a dx chip. Thanks for the clarification Nate.

You're also right on the money about waiting to see what it's like. As a photo educator, I've been burned before by making a purchase based on new cam specs and having to spend $ by a certain date, just to be horribly disappointed by the performance of the so-called "improved" camera. I've learned to wait a bit.

One lens kit is $699
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D3100-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B003ZYF3LO]Amazon.com: Nikon D3100 14.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens: Camera & Photo[/ame]

Two lenses kit is $949
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D3100-Digital-18-55mm-55-200/dp/B003ZYF42C]Amazon.com: Nikon D3100 14.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 VR & 55-200 f/4-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lenses: Camera & Photo[/ame]

While D5000 single lens kit is $654.66
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D5000-18-55mm-3-5-5-6G-Vari-angle/dp/B00267S7TQ]Amazon.com: Nikon D5000 12.3 MP DX Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens and 2.7-inch Vari-angle LCD: Camera & Photo[/ame]

So price wise, they are about the same.

For me, if I can only choose D5000 or D3100, I will take the D3100 because of the video.

To me the 3100 seems like a great deal. I just might see about getting one as it will be a very nice camera. Though don't think it will be up to the D90, it should surpass the D5000 easy enough

We'll have to wait an see how much they spent on the high-pass filter they put in front of their new image sensor, it's my understanding that's what separates the D5000 from the otherwise same D90 image sensor.

I'd about be willing to bet the high-pass filter in the D3100 doesn't have as high a quality as the high-pass in the D5000, which doesn't have as high a quality as the high-pass in the D90.

From what I've read, the D3100 boasts much better video than the D5000, and 2 more megapixels... nuff said. If these things are especially important to you, then you might as well wait for the D3100. I got my D5000 back in January and, since super high-quality video is not a priority for me (720p is fine), I really don't feel any overwhelming urge to move to the D3100. The mere fact that it was called the D3100 leads me to believe its got more in common with the D3000 than D5000... then again, that's just an assumption based on the name.

Not that it's oftentimes considered all that useful of a feature, but I don't remember seeing the feature list for the D3100 mention the articulated display of the D5000.

Yeah I'm a little torn right now because I don't know about others but when I used something I get attached to it, it's part of my life now. I barely have the D5000 but I've used it and fell in love with all the option. It takes great photos for an entry guy myself. I have seen people posted on youtube with the D5000 shooting in HD and it look pretty amazing. I can't seem to get it to look like that yet, still gotta learn how.

I wonder why the D3100 would be priced at $699, the same price as the D5000 currently. The only thing drawing me to the D3100 is the full HD and auto focus video option. Still debating although I know I'll get an HD camcorder when I can. I just want to start using the HD video on the DSLR right now as practice and fun until I can the camcorder. Damn, wish I never read upon the D3100.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back