D5000 with a 50mm f/1.8D

jellybeanjimi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have just bought a 50mm f/1.8d for the D5000 I know the auto focus won't work.

I've got 2 queries

1/ why does it lock only on the orange number 22? It takes a photo.

2/ when I use the other setting the camera display says " lock lens aperture ring at minimum aperture (largest f/-number)."

It the lens faulty or not sutiiable and how do I use the different settings

I'm not sure how your D5000 is set, but on my D700 I can choose to either control the aperture of my 50 mm AF-D through the camera aperture control wheel, in which case the lens needs to be locked to it's smallest aperture, or I can set the camera so that the aperture is set with the lens's aperture ring.

Check your settings. Sounds like you have it set such that aperture is controlled on the camera body.

That lens doesn't autofocus on that camera so it needs to be locked at the smallest aperture (highest f#) and then the camera will control the aperture. Once it's locked at that aperture everything besides focus should work fine.

The aperture control has nothing to do with the fact the lens does not have an auto focus motor in it.

See page 80 (Lens Aperture Rings) of your D5000 user's manual where it states that when a CPU lens with an aperture ring is mounted the aperture ring must be locked at the minimum aperture, f/22 in the case of the AF 50 mm f/1.8D lens.

Then look at your camera's lens mount and you will see the small lever that actuates the lens aperture. Look at the lens and you will see the lever on the lens that opens and closes the lens aperture. You can gently move that lever a watch the aperture open and close.

Note that when a Nikon lens is removed from the camera the aperture always closes to it's smallest opening, and always opens to it's widest opening when the lens is mounted onto the camera.

600px-Micro-Nikkor_AFS_VR_105_mm_lens_bayonet.jpg

The layout of the Nikon F-mount, but the D40/D40x/D60/D3000/D3100/D5000/D5100, don't have the auto focus screw drive:

800px-Nikon_D70_img_0725.jpg

Most reactions

Back