D5100 and off camera flash use

tissa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have D5100 and I just recently bought SB900 flash and was wanting to use it wirelessly off camera. Well little did I know that D5100 doesn't work as a commander and doesn't work as a trigger to trigger my SB900. Not because anything is wrong with my D5100, just coz it simply is not designed to do so. DUH!
So I thought that I can simply buy a regular flash trigger and a receiver and be happy! Because I am poor and broke after my trip to Miami and buying SB900, I thought I would save on the trigger and get a cheap one from cowboy studio. Here is what I got: 16 Channel Wireless Studio Flash Trigger Receiver RD616 Well the cords on the receiver don't fit my flash (I guess you have figured by now that I am not knowledgeable about camera equipment and technical details), so I can't use this one... My friend who knows a little more about this stuff tells me to either get a hot shoe or get another cord like this FlashZebra.com: 5 Meter (16 Feet) Straight Flash Sync Cord With Mini Plug (Item #0024)

BUT! I just SIMPLY want to use my flash off camera! It really shouldn't be that hard! Why do I have to buy 10 additional things to simply make it work? So my question is is there ONE thing that I can buy that will do the job? Thank you!

The SB-900 has SU-4 mode. When in SU-4 mode the SB-900 can be triggered with the flash of light from the D5100's built-in flash unit. Pages D50 and C22 in the SB-900 user's manual.

However, you would have to set the SB-900 outpower manually.

Cords aren't needed for a 16 channel wireless radio triggering system. Put the transmitter on the camera hot shoe, the receiver on the bottom of the SB-900, and make sure the transmitter and receiver are set to the same channel.

In off camera mode using bargain basement radio triggers, most of the bells and whistles you paid a premium for when buying the SB-900 won't be usable.

With radio triggers I usually used thes $85 a copy speedlight - Vivitar 285HV Auto Professional Flash

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Can you swap the pc cord on it?

I have a D5100 and a Yongnuo YN560 flash which I use off-camera with a Yongnuo RF-603N wireless trigger/receiver set.
As KmH mentioned, I just attach the wireless transmitter to the camera's hot shoe, and the receiver to the flash and it works great.

Yes, I do have to set the flash power manually, but that's really no big deal. And I don't have to deal with any wires or cables hooked up to anything.

sm4him said:
I have a D5100 and a Yongnuo YN560 flash which I use off-camera with a Yongnuo RF-603N wireless trigger/receiver set.
As KmH mentioned, I just attach the wireless transmitter to the camera's hot shoe, and the receiver to the flash and it works great.

Yes, I do have to set the flash power manually, but that's really no big deal. And I don't have to deal with any wires or cables hooked up to anything.

Unless I am reading wrong, the wireless set up the op is using is meant for monolights or similar since it has the built in mono jack. There isn't a shoe to attach to the flash.

OP, if you can't swap the mono jack for another cord, I suggest getting a different wireless set up.

My transmitter doesnt attach to the flash because the cords on the receiver do not fit (see the links I provided).
Mach0 no it doesnt look like i can swap the PC cord on it.
KmH, thank you for the info about off camera use! I am gonna try to figure out how to do it! That would be great if I did not need ANYTHING at all to trigger SB900 with my D5100

tissa said:
My receiver doesnt attach to the flash because the cords on the receiver do not fit (see the links I provided)
Mach0 no it doesnt ook like i can swap the PC cord on it.
KmH, thank you for the info about off camera use! I am gonna try to figure out how to do it! That would be great if I did not need ANYTHING at all to trigger SB900 with my D5100

Just set your on camera flash to manual and as low power as possible unless you want it to contribute to the picture. ( I don't know how you plan on shooting)

Unless I am reading wrong, the wireless set up the op is using is meant for monolights or similar since it has the built in mono jack. There isn't a shoe to attach to the flash.

OP, if you can't swap the mono jack for another cord, I suggest getting a different wireless set up.

yeah, I understood that, but my answer wasn't very clear about it. What I was suggesting was purchasing a cheap wireless trigger system like the Yongnuo one I have, that DOES have the capability of attaching to the hot shoe and then you can dispense with the cords.

OP, I *have* also used my built-in flash as the "trigger" for my off-camera flash; it does work, but I just prefer the wireless set up I have.

Mach0 yes I have already figured that I got a wrong thing (my "photographer" friend said they all are the same and I can get any so I got this one and he was wrong)

sm4him said:
yeah, I understood that, but my answer wasn't very clear about it. What I was suggesting was purchasing a cheap wireless trigger system like the Yongnuo one I have, that DOES have the capability of attaching to the hot shoe and then you can dispense with the cords.

OP, I *have* also used my built-in flash as the "trigger" for my off-camera flash; it does work, but I just prefer the wireless set up I have.

Yes. That's what I have and much easier lol. I actually use the pc cords to fire my sb's.

Mach0 yes I have already figured that I got a wrong thing (my "photographer" friend said they all are the same and I can get any so I got this one and he was wrong)

KmH THANK YOU SOOO MUCH! SU-4 mode worked!!!! I bought the flash used and didn't have the manual and on all forums ppl were saying it wont work with D5100!

I use a set of SB800s and an SB700 for portable lights.

I trigger them with either the TTL commander mode or the Yongnuo RF603 radio triggers. The triggers require manual flash control setting, like the others have posted, but outdoors in sunlight the built-in system just doesn't work 100%.

You place a trigger on camera, and the receiver on the shoe of the flash (yongnuos can be swapped, the receivers are also transmitters). With these cheap systems the triggers simply send a "fire" signal to the flash and you set it how you want. With this I have no wires and with the $$$ I saved over buying expensive triggers I got anther strobe.

I have a question specifically for you. I am planning to buy YN560 and rf 603 and below are my questions:

1) how do i ensure that i am able to fire only the external flash and esnure that the built in does not flash on. Basically i want the yn560 to throw the loght from the side and ensure no front light is given by my built in flash - how do i do that?
2) is theer a way to ensure while i do above - i also change the output / power etc for the YN 560 to be such that it is on full power (outdoors)

i am asking these questions before i buy the above gear as i want to achieve one simple objective: Black background in an outdoor enviornment and i believe for that apart from chaning the settings i also need to ensure i have a side flash but no built in flash. will just buying yn 560 and the rf 603 solve the issue?

Most reactions

Back