D5100 and RF-603 Triggers Question-HELP!! ))

Boid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello!

I recently bought a D5100 and then ordered the RF-603 triggers and a YN560 flash. According to my research(and some posts on this board and others) they all should be compatible but I am having a problem getting the flash to fire. Both of the triggers are set up correctly(all four green lights lit), the flash is set to manual and I have the flash mode as manual, and shooting in M mode on the 5100. But no flash!! Any ideas? Thank you so much!

PS Just to clarify, I have one of the units(receiver/transmitter) in the camera hotshoe, and one ready to mount on a lightstand.

Last edited:
Are the triggers all set to the same channel? You likely have 4 channel choices.

1 off, 2 off - Channel 1
1 on, 2 off - Channel 2
1 off, 2 on - Channel 3
1 on, 2 on - Channel 4

RF-603 is for the Rebel series....Canon, not Nikon.

that was a question, not statement btw....lol, forgot my ?

Ok, I stopped being lazy and looked it up. The RF-603 C series for canon and N series for Nikon. I assume you have the N series?

You need the N3 btw. Not N1 or N2. So double check and make sure you didn't get had by misleading advertising from wherever you bought it.

RF-603 N3: NIKON D600/D90/D5000/D5100/D3100

Dunno then, maybe defective. Mine worked right out of box. Put in batteries, one on cam, one on flash (actually 3 on flashes 'cause I got two sets) all fired on first shutter actuation. I did not need to do anything to the camera, it knew I had it on there.

*shrugs* sorry I'm no help.

No problem, thanks anyway. What I did manage to do was to attach the flash to the transmitter in the camera hotshoe, set it to M, and then set my second flash unit to S1 and they both fire together... PS Suddenly, the flash started working! Not sure if there was a loose connection or what, but all is okey dokey now. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back