D5100 issues?

No real problem (no malfunctioning) with my D5100, no problem that can't be solved by upgrading the camera.

Its good to read the reviews but I have come to the conclusion that there is a certain very vocal majority that cant/wont be satisfied with a product no matter what. So I take them with a grain of salt since these people often post on multiple sites.

Ive had mine for about a week now - It did not like my previous memory card and I had to by another. It came with the new firmware already preloaded and as I read the firmware should of solved this issue. With the price soo low for memory cards it didnt kill me to spend 35 bucks on a 32gb class 10 card. The one problem I cant seem to get around is while reviewing pics I cannot view the additional information. This is supposed to be acheived by pressing the up/down arrows but just wont work for me.
Im left with 2 options here. Try and reload firmware and hope it works or take camera back to store and exchange for another.
Other than that its a great camera.

TheCLEANSER said:
Ive had mine for about a week now - It did not like my previous memory card and I had to by another. It came with the new firmware already preloaded and as I read the firmware should of solved this issue. With the price soo low for memory cards it didnt kill me to spend 35 bucks on a 32gb class 10 card. The one problem I cant seem to get around is while reviewing pics I cannot view the additional information. This is supposed to be acheived by pressing the up/down arrows but just wont work for me.
Im left with 2 options here. Try and reload firmware and hope it works or take camera back to store and exchange for another.
Other than that its a great camera.

Have you actually gone into the menu to choose what information you want to see in the review? I have mine setup to show everything- shooting information, 3 color channel histogram and highlights (might be missing one)- then I just leave iron whatever I want to see when I review the image or I can use the arrow button to scroll through everything.

32gb is a huge memory card. Memory cards fail all the time - that's a lot of pictures to lose if/when it does fail. You are better off buying a bunch of 2 or 4gb cards instead of one 32gb......

greybeard said:
Good grief, now I'm using a girls camera..........what next.

Least it's not hot pink

I'm an amateur, but a pro amateur, if there is such a thing,

The D5100 is designed to be compact to increase it's appeal to women.

Quite true - and specifically for teenage girls. Not to insult them, but I notice lots of teenage girls with DSLRs taking self portraits (crappy), and I believe that's their main reason why they bought DSLRs - to get a nice profile picture on Facebook. I don't see that as often on teenage boys though.

Hello,
I came back here to post that I had indeed solved my problem, through the menu just as you had instructed. The card I replaced was a 16 gb card and with the price cut in half now i figured why not purchase a 32 gb card - I would never fill it up with photos as I was thinking more for video if ever I needed it.
Memory cards fail all the time? I was unaware of this. How exactly do they fail as there are no moving parts in them?

They fail mostly because of user error.

Careless handleing when someone has a static charge on their body, poor memory card management practices like not formatting a card regularly, or formatting a card in their compute rather than in the device that will be writting to the card.

For stills photos I never used bigger than a 4 GB card to record Raw files (about 225 14-bit depth files per card - 12 MP camera).

A 4 GB card would hold over 1000 JPEGs.

Last edited:
A close friend of mine had her auto focus go out when her D5100 was only two weeks old!

Hmmm... Hope this isn't the case with mine, I should receive it today. I will check the firmware version as soon as it is in my hands. Thanks for the info!

TheCLEANSER said:
Hello,
I came back here to post that I had indeed solved my problem, through the menu just as you had instructed. The card I replaced was a 16 gb card and with the price cut in half now i figured why not purchase a 32 gb card - I would never fill it up with photos as I was thinking more for video if ever I needed it.
Memory cards fail all the time? I was unaware of this. How exactly do they fail as there are no moving parts in them?

I have had several cards fail! I don't like to use huge cards because if they do fail I could loose a lot of photos! The largest card I use ( no video on my d3) is 8g... Don't like to "have all my eggs in one basket".

Hi, I have a Nikon D5100 that is 6 months old. Everything was fine till yesterday when I started seeing partially black pictures. Whenever I clicked a picture, the top portion of the picture (sometimes almost half of the top portion) turned out to be black. And I also started hearing the shutter sound in a strange way that does not sound right. I called Nikon service and they asked me to bring the camera for service and they suspect a shutter issue. I did some research in the net and found that several users are facing this problem. I will post an update once I have more info after this weekend. The issue is real!

Having smaller and more memory cards also helps whenever you left one of your memory card at home. That way, you won't be restricted to take as little photos than you would if you bought less but larger memory cards. Also, if you were to lend someone else one of your memory cards, you would still have the others.

Hi, I have a Nikon D5100 that is 6 months old. Everything was fine till yesterday when I started seeing partially black pictures. Whenever I clicked a picture, the top portion of the picture (sometimes almost half of the top portion) turned out to be black. And I also started hearing the shutter sound in a strange way that does not sound right. I called Nikon service and they asked me to bring the camera for service and they suspect a shutter issue. I did some research in the net and found that several users are facing this problem. I will post an update once I have more info after this weekend. The issue is real!

Yep, it's a broken shutter. Most likely your warranty will cover it, unless you took hundreds of thousands of photos in 6 months.

Most reactions

Back