D5100 issues?

G8trMom09

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade from my Coolpix P100 to either the D3100 or the D5100. I'm leaning heavily towards the D5100, because it has more of the options I'm looking for, as well as the articulating screen similar to my P100's. My main concern is that, in doing my research on the D5100, I've seen some reviews that were negative. Every negative review I read was regarding the software issue that affects the memory cards or the issue with the blacked out photos that resulted in the camera having to go back. It seemed like there would be 1 negative review for every 10 positive. What worries me is how many of those that posted positive reviews ended up having either one or both of those issues and didn't update their reviews to reflect it? I understand with anything electronic, it can sometimes be a game of chance - either you get lucky and have no issues, or you get a lemon. There's no way to predict by looking at the item itself, or even by basing your decision solely on reviews. I guess what I'm wondering is...has anyone here on this forum experienced either issue, and how long have you had your D5100's? Would you recommend it? I'm an amateur, but a pro amateur, if there is such a thing, and I'm ready to take the step up to a camera of this caliber. My only concern is the reliability of the camera. Thank you so much for reading such a long winded post and I hope everyone has a nice day!

Actually, I've never heard that until you posted it! And there are plenty of the D5100's out there.
Usually the very first wave has some kind of glitch in every camera that results in a firmware update. I am guessing that this is what it is/was.
It certainly wouldn't deter me from purchasing one

G8trMom09 said:
I'm looking to upgrade from my Coolpix P100 to either the D3100 or the D5100. I'm leaning heavily towards the D5100, because it has more of the options I'm looking for, as well as the articulating screen similar to my P100's. My main concern is that, in doing my research on the D5100, I've seen some reviews that were negative. Every negative review I read was regarding the software issue that affects the memory cards or the issue with the blacked out photos that resulted in the camera having to go back. It seemed like there would be 1 negative review for every 10 positive. What worries me is how many of those that posted positive reviews ended up having either one or both of those issues and didn't update their reviews to reflect it? I understand with anything electronic, it can sometimes be a game of chance - either you get lucky and have no issues, or you get a lemon. There's no way to predict by looking at the item itself, or even by basing your decision solely on reviews. I guess what I'm wondering is...has anyone here on this forum experienced either issue, and how long have you had your D5100's? Would you recommend it? I'm an amateur, but a pro amateur, if there is such a thing, and I'm ready to take the step up to a camera of this caliber. My only concern is the reliability of the camera. Thank you so much for reading such a long winded post and I hope everyone has a nice day!

I've never had a single issue with my camera - d5100. I've had it for around 7 months.

I haven't had my D5100 for too long yet but no problems here. This is the first I've heard of those issues also and I did quite a bit of research prior to purchase.

I'm an amateur, but a pro amateur, if there is such a thing,
You bet there is such a thing.

There are a lot of people out there that have little idea how to actually do photography that are charging $$$'s to take photos for other people. We often get customers posting here on TPF about things like the 4,400 out-of-focus wedding photos some pro amateur shooter took and charged hundreds of $$$'s for. Many consumers shop sole based on price, so there is a market for cheap photographic work,

The Nikon D5100 is one of Nikon's entry-level DSLR's and it's Nikon's 2nd best entry-level DSLR. The current best entry level Nikon is the Nikon D7000. Note however that the D5100 and the D7000 use the same image sensor. The D7000 has the advantage of more external controls which eliminate a lot of menu diving, more frames per second, dual memory card slots, better video, and other features the D5100 doesn't offer.

The D5100 is designed to be compact to increase it's appeal to women. To make it and the D40/D40x/D60/D3000/D3100/D5000 compact, Nikon left out the auto focus motor and screw drive system found in all their other camera bodies. The vast majority of Nikon's current lenes have the auto focus moto in the lens so the compact Nikon's don't really need a focus motor in the camera body. Only older Nikon lenses don't have a focus motor in the lens.

Canon quit putting a focus motor in any of their cameras starting back in 1987 when they introduced their Electro-Optical System (EOS) and EF-mount.

No doubt all consumer electronics inevitably have some % of failures, and that's why they include a warranty.

Last edited:
My d5100 worked fine, but i quickly sold it and got a d7000, i would look into the d7000, imo the few hundred more is worth it

I'm just curious. Where did you see all those negative reviews? I just took at quick look on Amazon, Nikon USA and B&H Photo. Here are the reviewer stats:

Amazon:
208 Reviews
5 star: (152)
4 star: (31)
3 star: (13)
2 star: (4)
1 star: (8)

Nikon USA:
Based on 316 Reviews
Rating breakdown
5 Stars -240
4 Stars - 55
3 Stars - 6
2 Stars - 5
1 Star - 10
93% of customerswould recommend this product.

B&H photo:
Average rating: 4.7 (out of 5)
(based on 265 reviews)
100% of respondents would recommend this to a friend.

Pros

Good image quality (236)
Easy to use (219)
Large clear LCD (185)
Fast / accurate auto-focus (184)
Tilt /swivel LCD (171)

Cons

Short battery life (34)
Noisy at high ISO (13)
Poor in low light (11)
Lag / shutter delay (7)

Best Uses

Family photos (188)
Landscape/scenery (180)
Travel (173)
Low light (135)
Sports/action (110)

I've had mine for six months and been completely satisfied. The ONLY issue I've had is that a few times recently, I've turned it on and it says there's no memory card inserted, when I *know* there is--in one instance, I'd already taken a picture and THEN it told me there was no memory card. But taking the card out and re-inserting it has always taken care of the problem, and frankly, I'm nearly certain it's not a problem with the camera but with a particular card.

You're right, there ARE going to be some "lemons" in every batch...whether it's cameras, cars, or coffee makers. The D5100 certainly doesn't have a bigger "lemon" rate than any other camera you could possibly get, at least not in that price range.

Thank you all who have replied so far. To KmH...by "pro amateur", I didn't mean to imply that I sell my photography for money. What I meant is that I haven't had any classic training, but I know my way around a camera and what I don't know, I quickly learn. The pictures that I take are for family and friends. I wouldn't dream of charging for my work. I do photography because it's fun and it's a wonderful hobby. Should I have said I'm a hobbyist instead? I'm sorry.

The negative reviews that I read were scattered about on Amazon.com, Bestbuy.com, and general review sites like CNET. The general issues that I find people commenting on are the lack of sophisticated features, because it is basically just an entry level DSLR. What does concern me are the number of people who have had the firmware issue and then the disappointing black photo issue.

I appreciate those recommending the D7000, but that isn't a consideration at this time. Being as I'm a "hobbyist", I don't want to end up with more camera than I need, or spend so much on the camera that I can't afford the extras that I'd like, such as a tripod and a speed flash. I'm comfortable with the D5100 as my next camera - it's just the issues that are being reported that I'm concerned about.

I've had mine for six months and been completely satisfied. The ONLY issue I've had is that a few times recently, I've turned it on and it says there's no memory card inserted, when I *know* there is--in one instance, I'd already taken a picture and THEN it told me there was no memory card. But taking the card out and re-inserting it has always taken care of the problem, and frankly, I'm nearly certain it's not a problem with the camera but with a particular card.

You're right, there ARE going to be some "lemons" in every batch...whether it's cameras, cars, or coffee makers. The D5100 certainly doesn't have a bigger "lemon" rate than any other camera you could possibly get, at least not in that price range.

I've read specifically about this issue in some negative reviews, and it's reportedly linked to a firmware update. Supposedly, if you update the firmware, the issue with reading the cards will correct itself.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/nikon/editpost.php?p=2471681&do=editpost

G8trMom09 said:
I've read specifically about this issue in some negative reviews, and it's reportedly linked to a firmware update. Supposedly, if you update the firmware, the issue with reading the cards will correct itself.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/nikon/editpost.php?p=2471681&do=editposthttp://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/nikon/editpost.php?p=2471681&do=editpost

So I just read a bunch of negative reviews. Looks like there were some faulty shutters. Of course there will be some cameras with problems - just like every other product.

Some of the other users complaints are IMO user error. Someone even said the d7000 images were so poor they went back to the d5100. Some complained about lack of sharpness out of the box. ISO is usually set to auto out of the box especially on auto mode. That will cause lack of sharpness as well as letting the camera choose where to focus. People were also complaining about the video and how their video cameras perform better. That's kind of a given - it's not a video camera.

I think you will probably find issues with any camera. I've shot well over 5,000 pictures and have not had a single issue. Not one. And I've never updates the firmware either.

I also don't find that it's noisy at high ISO's either. It will be noisy at any ISO if you Underexpose the image.

Possibly, but I've only had this issue a few times, all in the last month, and all with a new sd card. I'm still thinking it's the card, not the camera. And it's quite easily fix. Pull card, re-insert, problem solved.

I'm also on a couple of yahoo Nikon groups, and I've not heard a single complaint from anyone who owns a D5100 that is along the lines of what you're talking about. If you like the D5100, I say buy it!
It's a really nice entry-level DSLR, and any issues that a very small number of them may have are certainly not prevalent enough to warrant any *real* risk in buying the camera, beyond the risk of buying any other camera.

My d5100 worked fine, but i quickly sold it and got a d7000, i would look into the d7000, imo the few hundred more is worth it

I did the exact same thing. Technically I didn't sell it, I returned it after nearly a month, but for the time I had it there were no troubles.

I'm just curious. Where did you see all those negative reviews? I just took at quick look on Amazon, Nikon USA and B&H Photo. Here are the reviewer stats:

Amazon:
208 Reviews
5 star: (152)
4 star: (31)
3 star: (13)
2 star: (4)
1 star: (8)

Nikon USA:
Based on 316 Reviews
Rating breakdown
5 Stars -240
4 Stars - 55
3 Stars - 6
2 Stars - 5
1 Star - 10
93% of customerswould recommend this product.

B&H photo:
Average rating: 4.7 (out of 5)
(based on 265 reviews)
100% of respondents would recommend this to a friend.

Pros

Good image quality (236)
Easy to use (219)
Large clear LCD (185)
Fast / accurate auto-focus (184)
Tilt /swivel LCD (171)

Cons

Short battery life (34)
Noisy at high ISO (13)
Poor in low light (11)
Lag / shutter delay (7)

Best Uses

Family photos (188)
Landscape/scenery (180)
Travel (173)
Low light (135)
Sports/action (110)

Excellent! Thanks for that bit of research, Phoenix. The only complaints I have on my D5100: Battery life is a bit "short" per charge, the camera has a tendency to use very high ISO (2000+) in low light, even with flash (vs, say, putting it in P mode, where it stays under 800), long shutter delay in Lv mode. All can easily be overcome... I love the camera! John

JohnYoga said:
Excellent! Thanks for that bit of research, Phoenix. The only complaints I have on my D5100: Battery life is a bit "short" per charge, the camera has a tendency to use very high ISO (2000+) in low light, even with flash (vs, say, putting it in P mode, where it stays under 800), long shutter delay in Lv mode. All can easily be overcome... I love the camera! John

The ISO issue is due to using auto or any of the other modes as well as auto-ISO.

Most reactions

Back