D5100 recommended starter equipment/filters/lenses

@Shents

The Digital Photography book is a great one. Another good book might be Complete Guide to Digital Photography by Ian Farrell or David Busch's Nikon D5100 (if you want to just learn most of the features of your D5100).

I would also concur with the responses that tell you NOT to buy many lenses or NOT to buy at all until you figure out what you want to shoot.

If you want to shoot with a prime, the best one out there for cropped frame cameras (yours is one) is the 35mm 1.8G (Amazon.com: Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: NIKON: Camera & Photo).

And yes, always invest in useful or NICE lenses, not bodies. Expensive glass has much better resale value than good glass. Just remember whatever lens you get, you multiply the focal length by 1.5

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
@Shents

The Digital Photography book is a great one. Another good book might be Complete Guide to Digital Photography by Ian Farrell or David Busch's Nikon D5100 (if you want to just learn most of the features of your D5100).

I would also concur with the responses that tell you NOT to buy many lenses or NOT to buy at all until you figure out what you want to shoot.

If you want to shoot with a prime, the best one out there for cropped frame cameras (yours is one) is the 35mm 1.8G (Amazon.com: Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: NIKON: Camera & Photo).

And yes, always invest in useful or NICE lenses, not bodies. Expensive glass has much better resale value than good glass. Just remember whatever lens you get, you multiply the focal length by 1.5

Hey Duckysaurus,

So I was looking into getting a portrait lens, and I was looking into the 50mm 1.4D lens. So in your opinion the 35mm is better? Is it because it's equivalent to 50mm on film/FX bodies?

For every lens, I would buy a UV filter. Better to scratch an $8 filter than an expensive lens.

I bought a Tenba camera bag for my D5100. I bought the small bag. If I had it to do over again, I would purchase a larger bag. I'm fairly knowledgeable about nylon and I think Tenba makes quality gear.

I bought my D5100 with the kit lens as was recommended by folks here.

I then added a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 that seems to be an excellent general purpose lens.

Also purchased a Manfrotto tripod and ball head that seem to be a very solid setup.

Other than knowledge, I think I have all I need and am good to go for awhile.

Hey I don't suppose I could see some of your photographs could I, just some inspiration

Hello Shents. I am afraid my photos are less than inspirational. The right hemispherical lobe of my brain is somewhat deficient and I am not very creative. I have no pictures of which I am especially proud. I am a heck of a straight pool player though.

I got the Digital Photography Books by Scott Kelby. I got all 4, the boxed set. I finished reading fully the first three and briefly skimmed through the last book. They are a great easy read and teach you all of what you need to know to take great pics from the start. I would recommend getting the whole boxed set (comes with 4 books) because each book teaches you new things but if you are getting just one book get volume 1. If they spark your interest, you can easily read a full book in 3-4 hours.

I am fairly new to photography too and I've made a ton of purchasing mistakes. For starters I wouldn't even buy another lens until you get used to the camera and figure out what type of shooting you will be doing mostly. I bought 3 lens very shortly after I got my dslr and still to this day I use the kit lens almost all the time. Figure out what you like and take your time. Save up for a lens you really want and will fit your style.

Same goes for tripods, I'm on my 3rd one in a little over a year. Spend the extra couple bucks on a good tripod and head rather than buying one just to buy one. Again this also depends on how or what you plan on shooting. That too will probably change as you get more familiar.

The basics I would say to get would be a nice camera bag, extra batteries, a lens pen or other cleaning device and extra memory cards. That's really about it for stuff you should need at first. Spend any extra money on books or learning material until you get comfortable and can start making decisions based on what you shoot and what works best for you.

Most importantly have fun and learn as much as you can. We beginners are so fortunate to have these resources that can literally save us so much time and money. Hope some of this helps and enjoy !

Some books id recommend that Ive read:

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Petersen

The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby

The Photographers Eye by Michael Freeman

Tons of podcasts as well are a great learning tool.

And don't forget the software for your computer. I use Lightroom but didn't start out with it but wish I did.

I had to copy and have this repeated in my post^^^^^^^
It's like were are the same person from almost start to finish I could echo the entire post.

Building off what was said above for me. I have found that the more you spend generally the better the quality. I remember thinking "who cares if it's a 3.5-5.6 f-stop. That doesn't mean anything. I can still take great photos with that lens" That thought is partially true. I can take good photos with that but I'm limited with the light that I have.

I would also say the same thing for a tripod. My first 2 were cheap quality and finally on number 3 I can tell you there is such an amazing difference.

The first two books mentioned are great great GREAT books. To add to that, if you have an ipad I would recommend that you buy them on the kindle app and additionally get the free PDF of your cameras manual. It's great because you can jump in and out of whatever book you are reading jump into the manual and see how to do something with your camera. Not dragging a bunch of books on the trip.
The Photographers Eye, I also own and for me that is a tough read. I'm still working to get through it. From what I have read from peoples review you will either like the book or not like the book.

Also as stated it really does come down to what you like to shoot. I would just say that if you think of this as an investment and you won't quit because you are bored of it, or are easily swayed from one hobby to the next, then spend your money on quality glass. It'll be worth it. I have a lot of glass that I shouldn't have bought and just waited to get the quality.

Hey you pair what bryan peterson book ws it there appears to be 3 on amazon..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...sprefix=understanding+exposure,stripbooks,218

Thanks hope you both had a great new year

So I was looking into getting a portrait lens, and I was looking into the 50mm 1.4D lens. So in your opinion the 35mm is better? Is it because it's equivalent to 50mm on film/FX bodies?
When I shot portraiture, I rarely used a 50 mm, let alone a 35 mm lens on a crop body. For groups of 15 or more I usually used a 24 mm lens, but for most portrait shots I used lenses between 85 mm and 200 mm.

I used Nikon's AF 105 mm f/2 DC and AF 135 mm f/2 DC quite a bit, but my favorite was the AF-S 200 mm f/2G ED. The 200 mm f/2 delivers SCB - Spectacular Creamy Bokeh. But it's expensive. Almost $6000 new. Used ones don't come on the market very often, and when they do - if you snooze - you lose.

Nikon defocus control offers new creative possibilities for shallow depth-of-field portrait photography. Photographers can fine-tune the foreground or background image area, creating unique blurred effects.

Wow...a gal shows a wee bit of cleavage in her avatar shot... and the fellows fall all over themselves to provide answers to her questions!!!! Imagine that!!! lol!

Enjoy the new D5100. I dunno...there are so many nifty pieces of kit on the market today. I say, for the beginner, try and find used lenses. Saves a lot of money.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understandi...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357026543&sr=1-1
The third addition of Understanding Exposure. As for the Scott Kelby books, someone mentioned to get the first one if that's all you can. If that is all you can then I agree otherwise try and snag up all 4.
Again to repeat myself I would suggest getting them on your kindle app (iPad) or kindle if you have one. It is really convenient. It's so easy to reference something in seconds as opposed to carrying around and then digging through 6 books to find one quick how to.

Derrel said:
Wow...a gal shows a wee bit of cleavage in her avatar shot... and the fellows fall all over themselves to provide answers to her questions!!!! Imagine that!!! lol!

Enjoy the new D5100. I dunno...there are so many nifty pieces of kit on the market today. I say, for the beginner, try and find used lenses. Saves a lot of money.

Wow a dude thinking there is no other reason for helping someone other than they have boobs on a online profile pic ! Imagine that !

I would say most of us here on a PHOTOGRAPHY forum have seen plenty of pictures of boobs and probably just as many in real life. Not to mention that most here don't come the Photography Forums looking to pick up chicks. Grow up man.

I am fairly new to photography too and I've made a ton of purchasing mistakes. For starters I wouldn't even buy another lens until you get used to the camera and figure out what type of shooting you will be doing mostly. I bought 3 lens very shortly after I got my dslr and still to this day I use the kit lens almost all the time. Figure out what you like and take your time. Save up for a lens you really want and will fit your style.

Same goes for tripods, I'm on my 3rd one in a little over a year. Spend the extra couple bucks on a good tripod and head rather than buying one just to buy one. Again this also depends on how or what you plan on shooting. That too will probably change as you get more familiar.

The basics I would say to get would be a nice camera bag, extra batteries, a lens pen or other cleaning device and extra memory cards. That's really about it for stuff you should need at first. Spend any extra money on books or learning material until you get comfortable and can start making decisions based on what you shoot and what works best for you.

Most importantly have fun and learn as much as you can. We beginners are so fortunate to have these resources that can literally save us so much time and money. Hope some of this helps and enjoy !

Some books id recommend that Ive read:

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Petersen

The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby

The Photographers Eye by Michael Freeman

Tons of podcasts as well are a great learning tool.

And don't forget the software for your computer. I use Lightroom but didn't start out with it but wish I did.

I had to copy and have this repeated in my post^^^^^^^
It's like were are the same person from almost start to finish I could echo the entire post.

Building off what was said above for me. I have found that the more you spend generally the better the quality. I remember thinking "who cares if it's a 3.5-5.6 f-stop. That doesn't mean anything. I can still take great photos with that lens" That thought is partially true. I can take good photos with that but I'm limited with the light that I have.

I would also say the same thing for a tripod. My first 2 were cheap quality and finally on number 3 I can tell you there is such an amazing difference.

The first two books mentioned are great great GREAT books. To add to that, if you have an ipad I would recommend that you buy them on the kindle app and additionally get the free PDF of your cameras manual. It's great because you can jump in and out of whatever book you are reading jump into the manual and see how to do something with your camera. Not dragging a bunch of books on the trip.
The Photographers Eye, I also own and for me that is a tough read. I'm still working to get through it. From what I have read from peoples review you will either like the book or not like the book.

Also as stated it really does come down to what you like to shoot. I would just say that if you think of this as an investment and you won't quit because you are bored of it, or are easily swayed from one hobby to the next, then spend your money on quality glass. It'll be worth it. I have a lot of glass that I shouldn't have bought and just waited to get the quality.

Hey you pair what bryan peterson book ws it there appears to be 3 on amazon..

Amazon.co.uk: understanding exposure by bryan peterson: Books

Thanks hope you both had a great new year

Hey guys

I have just ordered both! thanks for the link @shefjr.. Weags thanks for all the help, I haven't made one shot yet as waiting on sdhc card's arrival, I shall post first shots, they will be no thrill's/editing as I haven't learn't that yet, I start my course 16th So they should start to improve from then...I hope haha

Derrel said:

Wow a dude thinking there is no other reason for helping someone other than they have boobs on a online profile pic ! Imagine that !

I would say most of us here on a PHOTOGRAPHY forum have seen plenty of pictures of boobs and probably just as many in real life. Not to mention that most here don't come the Photography Forums looking to pick up chicks. Grow up man.

Hilarious!!! You must not have read (m)any of my other 17,000 posts. Oh, wait, you've been here less than two dozen posts and already you're telling ME to grow up! lol. Maybe you've heard of it. I mean, maybe you've heard of lol, that is. See if you can find the "lol" in my original post! See, that was a clue...

"Lol".

Derrel said:
Hilarious!!! You must not have read (m)any of my other 17,000 posts. Oh, wait, you've been here less than two dozen posts and already you're telling ME to grow up! lol. Maybe you've heard of it. I mean, maybe you've heard of lol, that is. See if you can find the "lol" in my original post! See, that was a clue...

"Lol".

Must not have gotten the memo that you can put "lol" after something and it won't be deemed Inappropriate. Can't wait to try this out in the real world !!...

Anyways I think I've made my point regardless of if you and your 17,000 posts agree. Not here to have an Internet battle with you so let's just leave it at that.

+1 on the 35mm. I got it a week ago and it's the best lens I have. Have fun during your trip.

Most reactions

Back