D5100 spot metering

Goldcoin79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I have a D5100 and have read that when using spot metering it takes the meter reading from the selected focus point. When I do portraits I like to use the middle focus point (as this is the cross type focus point) to focus then recompose but if I am on spot meter and I recompose my shot, I believe this will change the exposure as I will be moving the focus point, am I correct in thinking this?

If I am correct is there a way to focus and recompose keeping the exposure that I spot metered on before I recomposed. I know you could press the exposure lock button but would like to no if you can do it with out using the exposure lock button as on my last camera when you half pressed the shutter button it could lock focus and exposure.

Shoot in manual.

Isnt that the whole point of the exposure lock button, to lock in the exposure settings.?

Thanks, just wondered if you could lock exposure when half pressing shutter button or if you put focus mode in AF-C with dynamic or 3D focus would the exposure stay the same on spot meter mode as you recompose due to camera tracking subject?

Most reactions

Back