D5200 Lens ~ (Landscape) Seeking Advice

OhioGuy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The 18-55 "kit" lens I have is obviously average. Have not been real impressed with the quality.

I'm looking for a nice lens for landscapes. I love the wide-angle types. Budget under $300 if possible.

Just getting ideas right now and recommendations what you all shoot with. :)

I have a Tokina 11-16 DX-II f-2.8 that I love for wide angle landscapes. It is also great for interior shots in low light since it has a fixed maximum of f-2.8. Just make sure you get the DX-II not the DX for a Nikon. The earlier DX model did not have a focusing motor which you need for the D5200. It can be had new for $350-$400. I also replaced my 18-55 with an 18-140 mm and it was the best purchase I have ever made. I use that lens 80% of the time on my D5200 and my D7200. You can get a refurbished one for less that $300.

+1 on the 18-140.
It is NOT a pro lens, but for $300 you are not going to get a pro lens.

The other alternative is a prime, but the only prime in your budget is the DX 35/1.8. This is a "normal" lens for a DX camera, not a wide.

I don't know how the IQ of the Sigma 17-50/2.8 and Tamron 17-50/2.8 are. But I think they are just a bit above you budget.

Tokina 11-16 DX-II f-2.8 comes up a lot.

I have a Tokina 11-16 DX-II f-2.8 that I love for wide angle landscapes...

Thank you for the information, truly appreciate the helpful folks here. One question I have is do you use a tripod most of the time with this lens with a remote release?

Rarely unless I am taking a long exposure. I usually shoot in daylight so I'm shooting at a shutter speed of 1/100+. If I was getting down to 1/50 or less, I might use a tripod. That being said, it is always a good idea to use of tripod if you have one. I just don't like to carry one around.

Again, the DX-II version has the in-lens focusing motor that the "baby Nikons" need.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
In this day, I would not recommend a manual focus lens to anyone other than an enthusiast.
Some people cannot even focus a manual lens. And the dSLR screen just makes it harder.

In this day, I would not recommend a manual focus lens to anyone other than an enthusiast.
Some people cannot even focus a manual lens. And the dSLR screen just makes it harder.

That's really irresponsible rhetoric.

Manual lenses are perfectly fine, and quite easy to use. Especially if using a tripod and shooting a still image like a landscape. Even more so with a wide angle lens. Zoomed in live view on a DSLR screen is a great way to focus your shots. I have full auto lenses that I still focus manually in this way if it's a static shot (like a video gig) to really ensure accurate focus. Plus, the Rokinon lenses have a "focus confirm" chip.

That said, sure it isn't as easy as using an autofocus lens, but I'd like to give the OP the benefit of the doubt that they can spend at least 2 minutes composing their shot, and nailing their focus.

Appreciate the debate on the auto focus topic, and one well worth addressing. My eyes are going bad, especially at closer ranges so I think I'd prefer the auto focus simply to assist me with the process, if that makes sense. :) I've used manual lenses in the past but the older I get, and since this is just a hobby for the most part, I seek ease of use more so than other factors. However, I do appreciate clear images as well. It's definitely a fine balance.

Just remember, you can manually focus with an autofocus lens, but you can't use autofocus on a manual focus lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back