D5200 purchase advice: body or whole kit (really a VR question)

PennPiper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all, I am in the market for a DSLR and pretty much decided on a D5200. The kit comes with the 18-55mm VR lens, and I have an 18-55mm non-VR lens from an old D50. Should I buy the kit with the VR lens, or buy just the body and use the old, non-VR lens? Is VR essential?

Does it change your answer if I say that I am eyeing the Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6/3 II DC OS HSM lens, and may buy that next month?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

How much would you save, in real money, if you opted out of the kit lens?

From B&H, the difference between a new body and a new kit is about $100. About $200 if I go with a Nikon Refurb body (I realize this is apples and oranges).

Use the old non-VR lens, and get just the camera body.
In most shooting situations VR should be turned OFF. Nikon VR explained

For focal lengths up to 200 mm VR is kind of a waste.
Good camera holding technique can provide most of the same benefits VR can.

Any brand of 18-200+ mm zoom lens (superzoom) is a collection of lens design compromises that have to be made to accomplish a 10x+ superzoom range.
No doubt, it is a very convenient zoom range but you pay a price with various image quality issues.

Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM review: Digital Photography Review
Conclusion - Pros
  • Huge 11x focal length range, ideal general purpose and travel lens
  • Relatively low chromatic aberration
  • Low distortion (for a superzoom)
  • Reasonably effective optical stabilization system, 2.5 - 3 stops benefit

Conclusion - Cons
  • Very inconsistent sharpness through the zoom range - extremely soft at 80mm
  • Soft corners at all focal lengths
  • Occasionally indecisive autofocus
  • Slightly less resistant to flare than its more recent competitors

I wouldn't bother to get the 18-55mm VR lens but personally I also wouldn't bother to get the 18-200mm lens, you get a good walk around lens but you pay in IQ.
If you don't see yourself moving to a full frame camera in the future then get the 16-85mm VR, if you cant afford it then consider the 18-105mm VR which is a very good lens for its price, in the future when you are ready get the 70-300mm VR lens.
I am a very big fan of these 2 lens combination the 18-105mm and 70-300mm VR because they are both very good sharp lenses for their price and with these 2 lenses you are covering the range of 18-450mm due to the crop factor of the DX camera.
The 16-85mm VR is optically the better lens over the 18-105mm VR but it also cost more.

I am a very big fan of these 2 lens combination the 18-105mm and 70-300mm VR because they are both very good sharp lenses for their price and with these 2 lenses you are covering the range of 18-450mm due to the crop factor of the DX camera.
The 16-85mm VR is optically the better lens over the 18-105mm VR but it also cost more.

+1

I use both the 16-85 and the 18-105. Yes, the former is sharper, but for the money, the 18-105 is optically pretty decent and would recommend it. It has a good, useful focal range as well.

I also use the 70-300 VR. Simply put, it's an outstanding lens. Outside of perhaps the 70-200 f/2.8, I can't think of any other lenses in its focal range that would be either equal to or better than it. Its only downfall is really that it's a variable aperture, rather than a fixed, but I rarely shoot wide open, so it doesn't matter a whole lot.

From B&H, the difference between a new body and a new kit is about $100. About $200 if I go with a Nikon Refurb body
So that is the cost of VR, should you decide that you want it.
(I realize this is apples and oranges).
Not necessarily. It's the same body, only one is cheaper than the other.

A refurb (from Nikon) 18-55 VR will run you ~$99.

IMHO, not worth it for that lens.. Just get the body!

New: D5200 Body = $697
Refurb: D5200 Body = $579

Take that extra cash and pick up the 35mm f/1.8G or 50mm f/1.8G :)

. . . 18-105mm and 70-300mm VR . . . and with these 2 lenses you are covering the range of 18-450mm due to the crop factor of the DX camera.
You're covering the 18 mm to 300 mm focal range, but getting a Field-Of-View that would be equivalent to 27 mm to 450 mm zoom lenses mounted on a full frame camera.

18 mm x 1.5x crop factor = 27 mm

. . . 18-105mm and 70-300mm VR . . . and with these 2 lenses you are covering the range of 18-450mm due to the crop factor of the DX camera.
You're covering the 18 mm to 300 mm focal range, but getting a Field-Of-View that would be equivalent to 27 mm to 450 mm zoom lenses mounted on a full frame camera.

18 mm x 1.5x crop factor = 27 mm
I stand corrected and thanks you for clarifying this :D

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I am going to get the body only (new, for the longer warranty) and keep using the old lens. Thanks for the advice on lens too - I'm sure I'll be back with questions about those.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back