D5300 ISO settings help....

dannylightning

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
if i could i would always shoot at 100 iso but that is not always a good option, i see quite a few people saying they set theirs to auto, and that does not sound like a bad idea. now is the part where i am totally lost..

you can set the iso sensitivity, ill leave that set to 100.

next you can change it to auto iso ( i get this part )

next you have maximum iso sensitivity. ( i get this part ) not sure what the highest setting should be i assume these days you can go higher on the ISO than on the older DSLR cameras and still have a good picture.

next you have minimum shutter speed, some how this ties into these auto iso settings ( this is where i am totally lost )

auto ISO sounds very nice, so if anyone can explain this in plain English and like you were speaking do a dummy as far as how to set the minimum shutter speed and what would be the max ISO you would want it to use on this camera that would be great.

I use auto ISO when you want a particular aperture and shutter speed. If I'm out shooting candid for example I'll quite often go for a shutter speed of 1/250th sec to freeze most motion, an aperture of f8 to get a deep depth of field and auto ISO so I won't need to change my settings and can snap quick. It's effectively like shutter and aperture priority mode. I'm normally in manual when I do this and select either partial or more commonly CWA metering mode.

Auto iso minimum shutter speed allows you to select a shutter speed at a value, the iso will increase to sustain that value when the aperture can't close down any more. Example- you select a speed of 1/125 sec, which may be enough to ensure good blur free phtotos with a 50mm f1.8 lens. On a bright day the camera will shoot possibly 1/500 sec at iso 100 and your selected aperture if in av.. When the light drops it may drop to 1/125 sec at iso 100 and f1.8 or other selected aperture. Light drops more and the camera will stay at 1/125 sec, f1.8 or selected aperture but increase iso to ensure a proper exposure.

i am not a pro at this stuff, and its been quite a few years since i had a DSLR so i am trying to remember everything again. not quite sure i get what you guys are saying though, i guess i am still kind of a noob.

i just have the stock lens that came with this thing, i plan to get a 55-300 mm lens for it at some point, i like wild life and landscapes, i have never had a wide angle lens but i might pick one of those up some day. in bright day light i always set ISO as low as possible, f stop as low as possible and than i will adjust shutter speeds as needed. i always seem to like the way pics turn out that way. most everything i shoot is outdoors.

When you say you set your f stop as low as possible I trust you mean the smallest aperture? Nowadays with the web and all that there can be a bit of confusion with lowest F number (which is actually the widest aperture) and the smallest aperture (which is the highest F number). Typically for landscapes you want to be between f8 and f16 as that's where most lenses are sharpest.

Setting ISO and aperture and using your shutter speed as a variable is fine for landscapes as long as you keep an eye on your shutter speed so as not to introduce unintentional blur like camera shake. Rule of thumb is 1/focal length x crop factor to avoid camera shake. So at 100 mm your minimum shutter speed should be 1/100 mm X 1.5 = 1/150th sec.

First, I set up my buttons on my D5200 (same layout as the D5300) so that I can quickly modify my exposure triangle. If I hold the fn button and twist the wheel, that changes one thing. If I twist the wheel by itself, that changes another. And if I hold one other button and twist the wheel, it changes the last thing. That covers three things: ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. I can shoot in manual and quickly change any of these.

You seem to want to shoot in a semi-auto mode. There's lots of different options. You can set up a maximum ISO and a minimum shutter speed, and allow your camera to go auto and just select your aperture. I don't like that, personally. There's different configurations, but what I do is just regular aperture priority: I manually select my ISO, I manually select my aperture, and I pay attention to the shutter speed that my D5200 automatically selects for me. If the shutter speed is too slow, I modify accordingly. So, the only auto feature I have set up is the shutter speed when I'm shooting in aperture priority. I find that's a really quick and easy way to shoot. You can fiddle around with different things and see what works better for you.

aperture, is F stop from what i remember, i set that to the lowest number most of the time. and than i usually stick iso on 100 ( depends on the lightning conditions, and than i adjust shutter speed as needed. if i do not ike the way the shot turns out i will adjust the aperture.

i usually shoot full manual but i dont always take full advantage of full auto unless the lightning conditions are not ideal. at lest this is what i remember, i am pretty much starting over on DSLR, i remember how to work the camera and pretty much what everything does but it has been quite a while so its kind of new to me again..

ill post a link to some of my old photos i took back when i had a D50 or D60 ( i think it was one or the other ) if you guys want to check it out, Photography Photos by dannylightning | Photobucket
. the last several years i have been using a canon point and shoot that has manual controls, but i mainly used that for taking video, when i lived in tennessee there were lots of good places to go and take photos, now i am back in akron ohio and not so much, one day this week i am gonna head out to this place called the nature realm and see what the new camera can do. i do wish i had a lens that went to 200 or 300mm but like i said ill get one eventually.

my camera is already set up so i can change the ISO, Aperture,Shutter speed, and i think the Flash is set up that way too, i try to avoid the flash at all options, the stock flash is not very good. but as of right now auto ISO sounds appealing while i am getting the hang of using a DSLR again. here are a couple of shots i took with the new camera

$DSC_0062.jpg$DSC_0063.jpg

Last edited:
When I use auto-iso, I have a min shutter speed of 1/160sec and max ISO of 6,400.

All the camera is doing is changing the ISO to zero out the meter based on your shutter and aperture settings.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back