D600 - Entry level FX

yeah i saw this and wondering what it really will look like. The D400 has some people talking like it should be a FX camera as well. You never know until it is announced by nikon.

Great News, i was tempted to look at the D800 but i'm glad that i managed to hold :) , i think this new D600 will be the replacement of the D400 because its not logical that Nikon will have 4 FX cameras (D4,D800,D600,D400), I think the other 2 cameras that will come out apart from the D600 this year are of course the D5200 and the D7100\D8000.

update on the D600 - More Nikon D600 rumors | Nikon Rumors

• The price of the D600 is rumored to be very low - maybe as low as $1500.
  • The sensor inside the D600 will probably be 24MP (made by Sony, modified by Nikon).
  • The D600 will probably not have an internal AF motor, which means it will work only with AF-S lenses (just like the D3200 and D5100).
  • The D600 will have HD video.
  • Announcement before Photokina (September 2012).
  • One or more low-priced f/4 lenses will be announced with the D600. For example, Nikon recently filed a patent for a 24-70mm f/3.5-4.5 full frame lens which seems to be designed for a cheaper FX DSLR body.

Last edited:
Great News, i was tempted to look at the D800 but i'm glad that i managed to hold :) , i think this new D600 will be the replacement of the D400 because its not logical that Nikon will have 4 FX cameras (D4,D800,D600,D400), I think the other 2 cameras that will come out apart from the D600 this year are of course the D5200 and the D7100\D8000.

Nikon has 4 DX cameras (D3200, D5100, D7000, D300s). Each cater to different people. It would make sense, should they be able to stagger the sensors enough, that they could, indeed, have 4 FX lines (which would properly be titled D600, D700, D800, D4) since the D800 was not a true D700 successor. Until one is announced, the D700 holds its own place in the lineup. The two are clearly different classes of cameras.

Personally, I don't think this will happen either. It seems like Nikon is beefing up their DX lineup from the bottom up in order to justify making the D400 an FX D600. The D3200 looks quite impressive for an entry-level camera. Quite impressive, indeed. If the D5200 holds the same kind of improvement, with it already having a D7000 sensor, and both needing upgrades this year, that and the D7000 successor sensor would essentially be the same. And that won't happen. So, what I think they'll do is have the D5200 take the place we all thought the D7100 would take, and bump the D7100 up to a level we thought the D400 would be at. So, this would give them a beefed up DX lineup, and allow the true D300s successor to be bumped to FX, the D600. I was always a skeptic to this happening, but it does make sense now.

Real D3200 = Theoretical D5200
Real D5200 = Theoretical D7100
Real D7100 = Theoretical D400
Real D400 = Real D600FX.

So, no D400 name. I think you will see everything that the camera is intended to be in a beefed up D7100. You'll have the camera, just not the name. And, essentially, what we know as the D7000 line will be dropped, and moved up to take over the D400's spot with corresponding upgrades in build quality, buffer, etc, etc.

Mark

If its on the 'Net, it has to be true. And an entry level budget full frame would produce more pro photographers, shares of bestbuy and amazon stock would go through the roof
bigthumb.gif

Interesting rumour, I think it makes sense also to release this camera. As we can guess it will be a huge huge hit for Nikon.

I'm still a bit confused though about it all..I thought Nikon were planning to keep producing the D700 for a start? I am keen to go full frame soon, but despite all these recent announcements. D700 prices are not coming down by much, they are really holding their value on the USED market. It would be truly groundbreaking if Nikon released a FX camera which is selling for cheaper than D700's are at the moment on the USED market.

Used D700's in Tampa are going around 1600-1700 hundred. I've been thinking about buying one as a backup body. I wouldn't want an entry level which we know will lack knobs, controls, great viewfinder, fast focus, and overall quality of build compared to higher end bodies.

2WheelPhoto said:
Used D700's in Tampa are going around 1600-1700 hundred. I've been thinking about buying one as a backup body. I wouldn't want an entry level which we know will lack knobs, controls, great viewfinder, fast focus, and overall quality of build compared to higher end bodies.

I wish it was like that up here lol. They are still around the 2k mark.

FX image sensors cost more to make, because they can't make as many FX sensors on a single wafer of silicon as they can the 1/2 as big APS-C size image sensor.

FX image sensors cost more to make, because they can't make as many FX sensors on a single wafer of silicon as they can the 1/2 as big APS-C size image sensor.

Not just that according to an online quote I just saw when researching the matter..

'You would expect that since fx is twice the size of the Dx chip that it would be twice the cost. nope! due to the larger wafer size the percentage of loss due to defects is much higher. Coupled with the increase in complexity and circuit designs and the multi layers of micro lenses and circuits the loss is even higher. Thats why the DX sensors cost up to 1/10 the FX sensors.''

I am hoping Nikon comes out with a d600 but by the sounds of it the build quality seems even lower than a d7000. I want a full frame d7000 not a d5100. I don't think the price will be as low as most people here hope, infant it might be more along the line of the d800 as well.

I guess a d600 or a d400 whatever they call it with a FX sensor in the high 1k low 2 k range would be nice. i would be all over it.

Why would anyone buy a medicro body with an FX sensor.... wait its back to the shares of bestbuy/amazon going up right =)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back