D600 or 800?????

Can you feel a big difference in the size of the viewfinder between the two? - for me, the viewfinder is very important...

StandingBear1983 said:
Can you feel a big difference in the size of the viewfinder between the two? - for me, the viewfinder is very important...

There is an absolute difference, but not as much a swing as the 800 is to the 7000. The 600 has 100% coverage in FX and everything looks crisp in it. the frame feels much less compressed than the 7000 but still not quite as open as the 800. It is an excellent finder for the price.

The 800's finder is noticeably larger. The comfort level is also superior what with the circular, large, eye opening. Once your eye is inside it just feels.... Well like a really true to life, honest frame.

That all said, the 600 has a fantastic finder! I'd be hard pressed to choose it over the 800 for what I do. But, if the finder is everything to you then the 800 is going to feel better. $1000 better? Well... That's hard to quantify and that's where actually going to the store and trying them out is going to come in :). Obviously, If money is no object and the finder is your buying point, go for the 800 100%. But if money is as key an issue as the finder, I'd really recommend seeing it for yourself first if possible.

Lem

The d600 is surely going to come down in prices and the d800 has already fallen from its initial £2600 release to £2000.over here the d600 sells for £1650. So for an extra £350 I would go for a better model. Also using the d600 with bigger lens feels abit weird . Also I am using the 70-300 on the d800 and don't really see why the lens can't handle the 36mp ...

The d600 is surely going to come down in prices and the d800 has already fallen from its initial £2600 release to £2000.over here the d600 sells for £1650.

You have to take into consideration the currency exchange rate.
2600 pounds = $4194 US
2000 pounds = $3226 US
Current US price at B&H store: $2999 US. It's going to be a long time before the US price drops.

The US price difference between the D800 and D600 is almost $1,000.

*p.s. I don't know how to do the fancy pound symbol

The d600 is surely going to come down in prices and the d800 has already fallen from its initial £2600 release to £2000.over here the d600 sells for £1650. So for an extra £350 I would go for a better model. Also using the d600 with bigger lens feels abit weird . Also I am using the 70-300 on the d800 and don't really see why the lens can't handle the 36mp ...

Where have you seen it for £2000? I paid £2298 in Gray's of Westminster which is a Nikon specialiist so I knew I wasn't going to get internet prices for it. I have seen it online for about £2150, but not lower than that. I don't shop for cameras online. I prefer to hold them and play around with them. That's my first preference with lenses too, but a company I use for lenses, Ffordes, is based outside Inverness and its not practical t go up there. They are reliable and their ratings for their used gear is very conservative so I trust the description of the condition of the equipment from there.

Citing Ken Rockwell as a resource is dangerous to your credibility.
5.jpg

Some would say that, but Ken 'feed my growing family' Rockwell isn't an absolute idiot. You just have to take what he says with a good dose of salt - same could be said of many reviewers...You should never buy an item simply off the strength of a review - very few are truly objective as photography is rarely an objective medium.

thereyougo! said:
Where have you seen it for £2000? I paid £2298 in Gray's of Westminster which is a Nikon specialiist so I knew I wasn't going to get internet prices for it. I have seen it online for about £2150, but not lower than that. I don't shop for cameras online. I prefer to hold them and play around with them. That's my first preference with lenses too, but a company I use for lenses, Ffordes, is based outside Inverness and its not practical t go up there. They are reliable and their ratings for their used gear is very conservative so I trust the description of the condition of the equipment from there.

Jessops sells it for £2050. If you go to any jessops outside London, they also give you discounts. I brought mine from Basingstoke for £2000. But they would only fall to £1650 for the d600. So for me, 350 was ok for a better and higher model. I also hate online shopping. I would rather hold and check for any focus issues then saving a few quids and shopping online.

StandingBear1983 said:

There is an absolute difference, but not as much a swing as the 800 is to the 7000. The 600 has 100% coverage in FX and everything looks crisp in it. the frame feels much less compressed than the 7000 but still not quite as open as the 800. It is an excellent finder for the price.

The 800's finder is noticeably larger. The comfort level is also superior what with the circular, large, eye opening. Once your eye is inside it just feels.... Well like a really true to life, honest frame.

That all said, the 600 has a fantastic finder! I'd be hard pressed to choose it over the 800 for what I do. But, if the finder is everything to you then the 800 is going to feel better. $1000 better? Well... That's hard to quantify and that's where actually going to the store and trying them out is going to come in :). Obviously, If money is no object and the finder is your buying point, go for the 800 100%. But if money is as key an issue as the finder, I'd really recommend seeing it for yourself first if possible.

Lem

Well i saved already for the D800 so i have enough, plus my birthday is coming soon :D, anyway, i have hands of a yeti so i want it also with the grip, and keep my D5100 as a backup....I'm sure it will feel like a normal camera at last in my hands, and not a girly toy camera ;), but seriously after 12000 shutter counts, the d5100 is a great camera on the inside...i have no complains on the quality of photos that i got with it, its just time for me to handle a more serious DSLR, after i learned a lot from the D5100...

You answered the question in your question. You regreted getting the d7000... Don't repeat it. Get the D800.

plexi32 said:
I can't verify that bug on my D7000 with a Sigma 17-70 nor my Nikkor 35 1.8 G. Liveview on M allows me to change aperture as it should

Solar flare talking about 'bugs' in equipment that he's only ever 'heard' about? Huh, imagine that.

The fun part is that I HAVE handled the D7000 and I even said so in this thread, just some postings above yours. :D

Solarflare said:
The fun part is that I HAVE handled the D7000 and I even said so in the posting you answered to. :D

Yes, but you haven't ever actually had the problem you were so expertly talking about.

Edit: I've handled just about every major dslr canon or Nikon makes. But I don't really talk much about cameras that I haven't taken more than about 100 or so shots with. And when I do, I try to make it as clear as possible that I have little experience with the gear and that perhaps they Gould give more credence to those who use that equipment on a daily basis.

For the new posters, you often make it seem like you're very familiar with equipment you've either never used or barely used. You talk about 'issues' with equipment you've never experienced and you constantly spread unsubstantiated rumors as if they were established fact (for instance you've stated that the d600 was Nikons replacement for the d7000 several times, as if it were a a fact).

Last edited:
For the new posters, you often make it seem like you're very familiar with equipment you've either never used or barely used. You talk about 'issues' with equipment you've never experienced and you constantly spread unsubstantiated rumors as if they were established fact (for instance you've stated that the d600 was Nikons replacement for the d7000 several times, as if it were a a fact).

Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing any of his pictures, either.

Tee said:
Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing any of his pictures, either.

I don't necessarily care about that quite as much. The one that drove me insane was the time he 'reviewed' a lens that wasn't even released yet (the Nikon 18-300 IIRC) and told a new poster AS IF IT WERE FACT that it wasn't as good as the 18-200.

I'd get a D600 and the 1.8G primes....stellar lenses and a stellar sensor..

Most reactions

Back