D600 or D7100 ????

Just to set the record straight.. Good FX glass doesn't have to be expensive:

Nikon 50mm 1.8D = $100 (1.8G = $200)
Nikon 70-300VR = $350 Refurbished
Nikon 85mm 1.8G = $397
etc...

IMHO.. even if you shoot DX these are lenses you should be looking at.

What camera should you get? You want a D4... Cant justify that? just go down the Nikon line from there until you find one you can afford :)

With the 50mm would you go with the 1.4 or 1.8 ?
And is the G much better than the D ?

Thanks

Get the 1.8G

Just to set the record straight.. Good FX glass doesn't have to be expensive:

Nikon 50mm 1.8D = $100 (1.8G = $200)
Nikon 70-300VR = $350 Refurbished
Nikon 85mm 1.8G = $397
etc...

IMHO.. even if you shoot DX these are lenses you should be looking at.

What camera should you get? You want a D4... Cant justify that? just go down the Nikon line from there until you find one you can afford :)

Thanks

If f/1.8 is wide enough for you then get that. When I bought the 50mm 1.8D I read a lot of reviews, comparisons and tests online (I have not used the 1.8G or the 1.4) but of all three lenses the 1.8D is the sharpest. The 1.8G does better bokeh.

The 1.4 is much more expensive, and I couldn't really justify the expense compared to the 1.8, especially since it is apparently not quite as sharp. So it was between the D and the G. For me, right now at least, sharpness is probably the most important although really, any of them is going to be wicked sharp. Better (rounder) bokeh in the 1.8G didn't really seem to justify paying nearly double for the lens. (The 1.8D doesn't auto-focus on some of the cheaper SLR's but this will not be an issue for you)
Also the 1.8D is slightly smaller and lighter.

I see you're in Canada. I bought a bunch of stuff in the fall and ordered it through Memory Express because they had the best price for some of the things I wanted, and beat anyone else's price when they didn't. I used Photography, Digital Camera, Lens Price Comparisons for Canada - photoprice.ca to price compare on a bunch of online retailers to find out what the best prices in Canada were. Shopbot - Compare prices - Canada - Price Comparison - Comparison Shopping is another good one. Maybe that'll save you a few bucks.

d600, 50 1.8G should get you going for a while. do it. dont ever look back

If f/1.8 is wide enough for you then get that. When I bought the 50mm 1.8D I read a lot of reviews, comparisons and tests online (I have not used the 1.8G or the 1.4) but of all three lenses the 1.8D is the sharpest. The 1.8G does better bokeh.

Umm... no... That's not true. The 1.8G is sharper then the 1.8D. You may want to read more reviews... All the reviews i've seen show the 1.8G sharper in the corners AND in the center then the 1.8G.

I actually own both lenses and my 1.8G is sharper then my 1.8D when shot at 1.8... they are about same @ f/4 in the center but the 1.8G is better in the corners through almost at every stop.

The 50mm Nikons are a tricky bunch... but they go something like this.

50mm 1.4D = not great.. 1.8D, 1.8G and 1.4G are better in almost all aspects (unless you need 1.4 and cant afford the G)
50mm 1.4G = sharper then the 1.4D. Exactly the same @ 1.8 as the 1.8G but slightly sharper as move up from there.
50mm 1.8D = sharper then the 1.4D.. not as sharp as the 1.4G or the 1.8G
50mm 1.8G = sharper then the 1.4D and 1.8D.. just as sharp @ 1.8 as the 1.4G.

IMHO... My first choice would be the 1.8G.. then the 1.8D (mostly cuz its $100).. then the 1.4G and the 1.4D would be my last choice. There are very few people who need a 1.4 lens. If you are that person then you probably wouldn't be asking which is better.

(I've owned all 4 lenses at one time or another... YMMV... but i think most of the reviews agree with me)

Side Note: Don't rule out the 50mm 1.8D if your camera can use it. I've shot TONS of indoor sports with that lens and for the price its hard to beat!

Umm... no... That's not true. The 1.8G is sharper then the 1.8D. You may want to read more reviews... All the reviews i've seen show the 1.8G sharper in the corners AND in the center then the 1.8G.

I actually own both lenses and my 1.8G is sharper then my 1.8D when shot at 1.8... they are about same @ f/4 in the center but the 1.8G is better in the corners through almost at every stop.

I'm not going to look too far into it since I have my 50mm and am not shopping for a new one but I compared the 1.8D and the 1.8G on DxOMark:

DxOMark - Compare lenses

according to them the 1.8D is slightly sharper, but overall the 1.8G is the better lens. I haven't owned both lenses so it would be silly for me to try to argue about which is better. What I can say is that they are both excellent and very sharp and I am sure the OP will be very happy with either. The only point I am trying to make is that maybe he would get more bang for his buck putting that $100 or so in savings somewhere else?

Details and fine points aside, if you are a developing photographer going from a kit lens to any of the 50mm prime lenses, your mind is going to be blown. A whole new world opens up.

Save your money n buy a D7000. Not a whole is in the upgrade to the D7100. You don't have fx lens so keep the dx.

dynamic range of the D600 pulvarizes that lessor camera. do it right 1st time, and pass on the second best lenses do that right first time too
bigthumb.gif

i wasted a lot of time and money before i did it right

Out of the camera yes the d600 is very nice no questions asked. If you don't mind some editing in aperture or lightroom then the d7100/7000 is just fine.

I'm getting the D600 with the 28-300mm f3.5-5.6 and a 50mm f1.8G to start and later in the year I will pick up the 105mm f2.8 micro.

you will be happy with the 28-300. the 50 1.8G i can't say much I have the D but nice upgrade. either way you will enjoy the purchase.

Simple, if your mainly a sports or wildlife photographer and you don't have cash for new lenses, get the D7100. if your a regular shooter that generally shoots all kinds of things get the D600 and a 50 1.8g. your welcome.

I'm in your exact situation with a slight difference that i got a few FX lenses already, like the 50 1.8g and the 28-300, I'm using in the meantime my D5100 but I'm buying for my 30th birthday a D800 with a grip.

You've looked at a side by side comparison of the features right?

There are some serious advantages to the D7100 that I believe will make their way to whatever replaces the D600, but aren't there yet.
Examples include:
faster FPS
Far better AF module (51 vs consumer 39)
cross type coverage at 15 vs 9
Faster shutter at 1/8000
30% greater screen rresults to name a few.

The D600 has the advantage in its far larger sensor size, with its inherently greater dynamic range and color depth. How much of this would you notice, I'm not sure. But you'd definitely notice the benefits the D7100 would bring to the table.

I'm in this same boat, but I believe I will wait to see what comes after this first run D600. The AF module is the deal breaker for me, and I feel as though if I purchased the D600 and had a new model with the 3500FX come out and it's 51 points... I'd be upset.

Most reactions

Back