D600 questions, craiglist find.

jeremycnwy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guy I ran across a fella today selling a d600 with a 24-85 f2.8-4d for $900... From my research this seems like a pretty good deal right?

I know the D600 have problems with the sensor getting oily an stuff an the guy says he bought it 6 months ago an has not seen anything funny on any images.. but I my self took some f22 pics on the sky an seen some spots in the top of the frame so I'm not sure if it just dust or the oil problem.

I could deal with it maybe if it was the oil issues if I could get nikon to do the recall work on it but I'm not sure if I can have the work done because I would be the third owner of the camera an won't have original paperwork?

Next, the guy claims he's never seen the crack before I found it but the plastic around the fn button at the bottom of the lens mount is cracked an comes up enough to make it interfer with the fn button. It looks like with enough force I could just pop the plastic back into place in the bottom plate, it would still be cracked but the fn button should function properly.. the camera nor lens shows any obvious signs of it being dropped but I know something had to have happed to crack the spot like that..

The guy was clean cut normal looking guy that I wouldn't immediately suspect of trying to screw some one on craiglist, he says the camera was bought from the owner of our local camera store as it was his wife's personal camera. So If thats true I know of the camera had any obvious flaws like this when he bought it, it would have been well known.

I'm coming up from a d90 so I know I'll be super happy with image quality but I'm scared of getting a lemon.. but for the price it tempting to overlook the possible problems.
What you guys think?

hmmmm, why is he selling it?

IDK it's up to you - i personally wouldn't buy anything remotely broken regardless of the price.

But if you enjoy the test shots, and think you can make it work - go ahead.

I say figure out the cost to repair it all vs buying one in GOOD condition.

But coming up from a D90 - D600 - for sure it's an upgrade! :D

Ask the camera shop owner about the camera ...

If it was his, he'd be able to inform you of the crack and such. But it doesn't sound very good. I'm going to take a flying guess and say that the kit 18-105 lens that was on it when someone dropped the camera, probably fatally cracked the lens, and cracked the camera body in that area.

and you could also ask them if they can fix it

I think the oil spot issue would be corrected by Nikon.

The guy say he I selling because he's moving and don't use it much..
Here is a link to the add.. of tpf will allow it..
http://auburn.en.craigslist.org/pho/4588212854.html

Astro, I do plan on calling the camera shop tomorrow an asking about it... I'll probably make my decision based on that conversation.

I think that this would be hard not to notice. Guy said he never used this fn button which I believe because it was not assigned to a function. So I guess he could go some time without noticing it? I'm not sure I think I'd know if mine had a problem.. an I don't think a d600 full frame dslr is one just someone who don't know a bit about what they are doing just goes out an buys for the Heck of it..
Something had to have happen to cause the crack.. but at the same time when I noticed it I looked the rest of the body and lens over real closed an I couldn't find any other sign that it has been dropped..
I'm sceptical but I don't want to miss out on a great deal if it's not a issue that will be a problem for me.

It's not exactly easy to crack a camera body. Makes me wonder what else is wrong if it took such an impact. And this is from a guy that loves to find a good deal.

To cheap. Why sell something so cheap?

I will run to the other directions...not buying that crap. Sorry. But even you can put anything as a reason in Craigslist. After the sale it doesn't matter anymore because the other party already has the goods. Just my inflated opinion...10c worth now.

There is just no way of knowing what you are getting. $900 is not exactly chicken feed. I would pay more just for the peace of mind of knowing I was getting a good camera.

It's not exactly easy to crack a camera body. Makes me wonder what else is wrong if it took such an impact. And this is from a guy that loves to find a good deal.

This observation alone would make it not worth the risk to me...

the plastic around the fn button at the bottom of the lens mount is cracked an comes up enough to make it interfer with the fn button.

This equals a no go for me. Sounds like it had a serious drop and no telling whats been effected or weakened by it.

The only way I would consider buying it and that is if I got it a little cheaper and sent it off to Nikon to have it checked out...replace case and shutter while it's there. Otherwise, I would keep shopping.

The price is way low. But, some people aren't good at selling. No doubt, be sure all the cameras functions work.
The lens alone is worth $350 or so.
The least expensive used D600 on Amazon.com is $1300 with no lens. with a AF 24-85 f/2.8-4D that would be $1650.

Guess it wasn't ment to be. Guy sold it yesterday.
Just think of it that you didn't buy a broken camera and loose a bunch of money.
That lens maybe 1650 when new but I bought mine I think for $300ish used.

Most reactions

Back