D600!!!

Not being a nikon shooter my 2 cents is kind of worthless, but I have never been known for keeping it to myself...

It seems like the funky half backward step that the Canon 6D is rumored to be.

I'll keep shooting my D700 and D90 until the D400 comes out. This looks like a nice cam for people moving up from anything below the D7000 who have little DX glass investment or bought only FX compatible lenses.
I think there are serious questions people need to ask themselves before replacing any body from the D7000 up. There are compromises that will matter to some people far more than others.
FX alone doesn't solve any problems, you still need good glass (which means more $$), and you lose DX reach and frame rate.

On a side note: I wonder now if the D600 stats were intentionally leaked by Nikon to keep people on the hook (and maybe try, unsuccessfully, to keep people from buying a D800 they really don't need).
I see good reason for them to push people toward this camera before sneaking out a D400 surprise at the end of the year at $1699 USD, body only.
I guess we'll find out eventually.

Oh, and did people REALLY think this was going to be $1599? That was just silly.

I don't know that its a step backward... but it sure wasn't a huge leap forward. Its like they kinda threw a D7000 and a D800 in a bag, shook them up, and threw together what they could. To someone coming in who may not have a camera it may be good, but those of us already using a camera it's not really an advancement.

I don't know that its a step backward... but it sure wasn't a huge leap forward. Its like they kinda threw a D7000 and a D8000 in a bag, shook them up, and threw together what they could. To someone coming in who may not have a camera it may be good, but those of us already using a camera it's not really an advancement.

That's kind of what the rumors on the 6d are. Toss in a 5d2 and a 7d and shake lightly. Whatever vomits out is what you get.
Someone here (derrel maybe?) said it's likely a bid to capture a corner of the used sale market. Wise if you are a stock holder I guess.

Aliens vs predator
Monsters vs Aliens

I makes one wonder how these companies fill their marketing rosters.

Probably with "marketing school graduates".

If you think about it, it really does make dollars and sense. It just doesn't make US happy. WHich is fine with them. I am not the target market for this camera and even if I were in the Nikon market I wouldn't be.
If you are shooting with an entry level like the million and one people we see shooting with the 5100's, D90 and even some of the 7000's who want full frame they can jump in at $2100 for a BRAND NEW full frame instead of buying a used one for $1800-2000. It's a no brainer. If I were wanting to go full frame from the DX entry level's I'd buy the D600 with no actuations on it and a full warranty and skip the used camera market altogether.

Aliens vs predator

Alien vs Predator is amazing concept - play the games and read the comics. the movies just didnt work; they should have really tried basing it of the comics-games than try and make it happen in contemporary setting and not in the settings of the games/comic

I'm waiting for a baby D4 as was the original D700 was a D3 baby; but with the release of the D600 at its price point. I just honestly do not see how another camera would fit unless everything gets pushed down a few hundred dollars and a D700s comes out (wishful thinking). However maybe a revised D600 comes out once a D4s comes out...and they bring in proper 1/8000s shutter and flash sync once the sales set in

I'd buy the D600 with no actuations on it and a full warranty and skip the used camera market altogether.

That really depends...either you're knowledgeable of the spec sheets and that you're fully aware you're losing out in some aspects and you're a happy camper...or you got no clue and see full frame. jump on it. realise there's just something quite different about how the camera is functioning with your flashes and your lenses....then you'll come onto the forum and raise a qn and then we'll refer you to the spec sheet and then you'll reevaluate how you felt about the jump.

I'd buy the D600 with no actuations on it and a full warranty and skip the used camera market altogether.

That really depends...either you're knowledgeable of the spec sheets and that you're fully aware you're losing out in some aspects and you're a happy camper...or you got no clue and see full frame. jump on it. realise there's just something quite different about how the camera is functioning with your flashes and your lenses....then you'll come onto the forum and raise a qn and then we'll refer you to the spec sheet and then you'll reevaluate how you felt about the jump.
Oh, they'll be a comin'. That's a given. It's going to be exactly what you said

I'm a Nikon fan, no doubt. But they're out of their damn minds charging that much. They've overpriced this clunker by a minimum of $300 in my book. I can get a gently used D3 with less than 75,000 clicks for that same $2,099. Given this extremely disappointing development, I can't see any way that we'll see the D400 upgrade any time soon. No room in their portfolio.

Nikon missed badly here. Their primary market are the wannabe pros and advanced amateurs who have been drooling over FX for a while. But the problem is, when MWAC walks into Best Buy and see the $2k D600 sitting next to the $900 D7000 that is 90% the same camera, which one do you think soccer mom is going to pick?

... and even some of the 7000's who want full frame they can jump in at $2100 for a BRAND NEW full frame instead of buying a used one for $1800-2000. It's a no brainer.

With the image quality I get from the D7000.... I'd just as soon buy TWO of those for the price of the D600. That $2100 price point was a big disappointment.

Given that, in order to enjoy the benefits of full frame, you need several thousand dollar worth of glass (unless you only shoot with 2 or 3 F/1.8 primes), sacrificing the flagship AF, the half stop faster X-sync and the 1/8000 shutter speed for just 900 USD is not very appealing to me.

If I ever move to FF, it will be the D800.

Btw, these are just my own needs. I can very well understand that other people (e.g. landscape enthusiasts) care a lot less about AF, X-sync and fast shutter. For a lot of people, the D600 could be the ideal FF camera at an unprecedented low price.

yeah, having the D7000 and wanting to eventually go full frame it's just not looking like the jump I will make. now as i thinik Mleek mentioned, if I was still using my D3000 and was looking to make the jump. I might make that jump to get into full frame which could be it's market. yeah you can find better options on the used market, some people just want new, esp when it comes to electronics.

Most reactions

Back