D610 ERR

s_marolf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I picked up a D610 today from someone on Craigslist. I tried it out and everything was working fine. I took a few hundred shots today then suddenly I got an err. When I click the shutter it stays open and the mirror stays up. When I hit the button again it will close and the mirror goes down. I tried two different lenses and the same thing happened. Both lenses work fine on my D5100.

I took the battery out for about 20 minutes and made sure it was charged. I'm not sure if its something I did in settings or a problem with the camera.

Any thoughts on what the problem is or what I should do?

Could be the contacts between the body and the lens need cleaning?

By any chance did you accidentally change the dial to MUP Mirror Up.This mode raises the mirror upon a shutter press,a second press will lower the mirror or do you actually have a err displayed.

Agreed with darkshadow. Check and make sure you aren't in MUP mode.

By any chance did you accidentally change the dial to MUP Mirror Up.

No, I had it in Cl when it happened, I actually saw MUP in the manual and tried putting it in this mode then going back to single but the problem persisted after I changed it back.

Try using a pencil eraser to gently clean the contacts for the lens on in inside of the camera body. If they get dirty it can cause weird issues occasionally.

Also try going into the menu and making sure you aren't set to put it into the sensor cleaning mode where everything locks open. Not sure what menu number/location this is on the D610 as I don't have one, but all nikon DSLRs have the ability to do so. What you say is happening sounds like this, but I've never heard of it persisting like yours is.

Sounds like its in need of some repair work to me. I wouldn't doubt the seller had the same issues.

@Destin I used a cloth to clean the contacts on the camera and lens. I did not try an eraser. Shutter count is 3,744. I checked this evening after I had the problem. I was told it was around 3,600 which was spot on.

Last edited:
For a camera with a shutter count that low to have issues like this would be rare unless it was dropped or mishandled. Are there any signs of a drop or damage?

I would contact Nikon, you're probably going to need to sent it in.

@Destin I looked it over when I got it and didn't see anything to indicate it had been mishandled.

If it was in intermittent issue I'd be more upset but something seems to have gone wrong as it doesn't work at all now. Looks like my next stop is Nikon but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious or if it was a known issue I hadn't come across.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back