D610 remote shutter release

VigilanteFoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i am seeking a new remote shutter release that will let me shoot in Bulb (one push to open the shutter and another to close). Any suggestions? Can a smart phone do this? (android)

MC-DC2 from Nikon is one. It is a simple wired one. One button with a locking function for long exposures. About $22 on B&H

I've not found a way to do this with the Nikon smartphone app (WMU). There may be a 3rd party solution that can do it, but the cabled shutter release is your simplest/cheapest.

I'd personally want one that you can program the length of time. Screw holding your finger down for +30sec at a time

I have several

ML-L3 - the InfraRed, small thin one. This is nice if you are .. well, standing next to the camera. Your location has everything to do with it if you can point towards the sensor, distance also matters.
I don't really recommend it unless you are standing next to the camera. I used this for astrostuff but stopped. I found myself on the opposite side of hte sensor with the lens blocking it's view alot, thus it was very frustrating using it in front of the camera or behind too, unless you are fairly close and the IR sensor is in view.

I then started using the MC-DC2 - the corded remote release.
This is great for the price. You can do long exposures as long as YOU watch the time on your stopwatch / watch. Downside. YOu have to stay withing a few feet of the camera. For astrostuff .. when you really get down to it, the ground moves as you move, just minutely, but it does. But this is a great option and I actually do use it alot for less than 30 second shots. BTW< for long exposure you don't have to hold your finger down, you push the button and slide a lock (it is very easy). Then just unslide the lock to stop. It's much easier than it sounds.

Then I went to a radio remote Vello WIreless remote shutter like this --> Vello Freewave Wireless Remote Shutter Release for Nikon w Mini USB Connection | eBay

I love using the Vello. It is preferred over the other one.s BUT I still have to time it myself.
The ones with a timer would be a bit more convenient.

I also have Yungnuo flash transceivers which can trigger the camera. But I use the Vello + Yongnuo.

So, I recommend going right to the radio releases for convenience. It really is much more convenient as you can walk away and still trigger it.

The one smartphone app I tried had a delay ... which doesn't help anything. I tried it briefly. I can't recall what it was called though.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
you want an app?

found this a little while back, I downloaded the app, but havnt really gotten to try it out as I havnt bought the connection yet.

Triggertrap | Creative ways of triggering your camera

has much better options for you Apple users, however the android version has most of the features (and the app is free for both platforms)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back