D610 x D7100?

stephan.higuti

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello guys, thanks in advance.
I've been reading a lot of topics here, and I've got some doubts, hope you guys can help me out.
I know that we are talking about two different things here, FX x DX.
I'm looking for a camera for taking portrait pictures, not only head and shoulders, but also full length, specially baby's and pet's (and both together).
I've got a $2K budget, and I'm considering two options:

1) Get a D7100 with nice lenses;
2) Get a D610 with a 50mm lens.

I heard that you can take really nice portrait shots using a D610 with a simple 50mm lens, since I don't leave in U.S., I have to consider that is not that easy for getting a new camera, while lens would be way easier.
Both of options will be around my budget, but I'm really confused of what should I do.
Technically, I should go for D610, but my doubt is if worth get a D610 over a D7100 with my budget limits for now.

Any ideas? :)

Thanks!

Enviado de meu Nexus 5 usando Tapatalk

for portraits I'd go with the D610 over the D7100.

A d610 with an 85 f1.8 will probably give nicer portraits than a d7100 with a 50mm lens, but how much better, that's down to the person. I suggest you go on Flickr and go to both the D610 and d7100 groups. Put the lens focal length in the tag search area. You will see both are capable, but maybe you do or font need the very best. Only you can decide

Ps- welcome to the forum

For fast moving object/sport go for the D7100, but check out if the banding problem will cause you problems.

John.

Banding and posterization can be an issue related the the bit depth of a photo.
JPEG is limited to an 8-bit color depth, so banding and posterization in gradients can result using JPEG as your image file type.

Image Posterization

Go for the D610 with Nikon 85mm 1.8G, this lens is super sharp and will give you excellent portrait shots.
For general use consider getting the kit lens of the D610 the Nikon 24-85mm 3.5-4.5 VR
I had this lens and its a really good lens for the price

Most reactions

Back