D70 pics look washed out

cleary71

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just purchased a Nikon D70 and used it for the first time at my niece's birthday party on Monday. I just downloaded them to my computer and noticed that everyone lacked significant color. I know this is a very broad question, but could anyone who owns this camera suggest what I may not have set. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

It's possible that you have the saturation on the lowest setting on camera. Is it also possible that you were shooting with the onboard flash? If so, your photos will be much cooler, and thus appear washed out, or lacking warm color. You can compensate for that by setting your white balance or color temp to warmer.

Digital Matt said:
It's possible that you have the saturation on the lowest setting on camera. Is it also possible that you were shooting with the onboard flash? If so, your photos will be much cooler, and thus appear washed out, or lacking warm color. You can compensate for that by setting your white balance or color temp to warmer.

Personally I would recommend buying an external flash. There are some great quality ones around.

Here is an example of the type of results I was getting. Also, I was using the onboard flash when I took these photos, as the flash I have for my N90 is not compatitable. What flash would be best recommended for the D70?
meg_ex.jpg

That shot is underexposed. The D70 does tend to underexpose shots by 2/3 of a stop.

I recommend the SB600 or the SB800 if you have the money.

The flash that you use with your N90 will work but you will have to use a manual flash exposure... no TTL.

I use a D70 and find that sometimes matrix metering will bugger an images colour. Matrix metering is trying to average across the entire image.

I'd recommend (and use) center-weighted metering for most images. If your composing an image off-center, use the exposure lock.

The flash might be part of it. That "deer caught in the headlights" look that comes with straight on flash in a dark room is usually unappealing anyway.

Did you play with any of the custom settings? If so, I'd reset them and try again. Those settings are handy, but not when your starting out.

We'll be able to recommend more when we see an example. If you can you should also post the settings you shot with.

Last post was a little slow. You posted while I was typing.

You can try using exposure compansation too. Try increasing it by 1/3 stop at a time and see what happens.

We'll be able to recommend more when we see an example. If you can you should also post the settings you shot with.

Look a couple posts up, cleary71 posted an example.

Here is the details from the picture. The only difference I see is on the camera it says the metering is matrix and the details when I upload it says multi-pattern.

Nikon D70
2005/02/21 19:18:53.1
JPEG (8-bit) Fine
Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
Lens: 28-70mm F/2.8 D
Focal Length: 65mm
Digital Vari-Program: Auto
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/60 sec - F/3.5
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 400
Optimize Image:
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF-S
Flash Sync Mode: Front Curtain
Auto Flash Mode: Built-in TTL
Auto Flash Comp: 0 EV
Color Mode: Mode Ia (sRGB)
Tone Comp: Auto
Hue Adjustment: 0°
Saturation: Normal
Sharpening: Auto
Image Comment:
Noise Reduction: OFF

Thanks for all your help!!

I'd try playing around with the image optimization and/or custom curves. I usually use vivid for the image optimization and have a "general" custom curve loaded that I use in dificult lighting situations. I downloaded it from somewhere, can't remember where though. One downside with the D70 is that you can only have one custom curve saved at a time.

The above suggestions are good as well, try a bounce flash or you can also try diffusing the onboard flash with an old transparent film can or something like that. I almost never use matrix metering anymore and I almost also use bracketing. I think if you try any of that you'll get some better results.

Try Colour mode III too. I find that the colours are more vibrant under that mode.

What lens are you using? DSLRs can make lens you have used with your 35mm camera and talking great shots look bad. I have 2 sigma lenses that I have had for years that I loved with my n90s and now that I have a D70 I am looking to get better glass.

Most reactions

Back