D700 or D800 DILEMMA

Pete'sGirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I finally bit the bullet and the bought the D700. A week and a half later they come out with the D800. I can still return the D700 for a refund and order the D800. But is it worth it? I do mainly portraits (babies, children, engagements) and have done a few events (two baptisms and a wedding.) Photography is currently a side job for me. I don't care about the body being lighter, and I am not sure how I feel about the video (not sure if I'd use it much or not.) And isn't 12 mp enough?! 36+ mp has to have some drawbacks, no? Or am I crazy not to send the D700 back and go for the D800?
I am so torn - advice please!

If you return your D700, it will still be a couple of months before you are actually able to get a D800 IN HAND. Do you think your're going to need 36MP? Have you yet? The answer to those two questions is likely the he answer to whether or not you should return your D700 and order a D800.

I think you answered your own dilemma -
I do mainly portraits (babies, children, engagements) and have done a few events (two baptisms and a wedding.) Photography is currently a side job for me. I don't care about the body being lighter, and I am not sure how I feel about the video (not sure if I'd use it much or not.)
For what you need its enough.
Earlier today, friend of mine ordered his 800. Another buddy of mine says that he isn't buying anything #1 that is a first batch #2 since he still have his 2-D3 and D700, he isn't buying another body unless one of his brakes.

I also just bought a D700, and I'm also very excited about the D800, like every other member on this forum.

To answer your question, yes 12MP is enough......for most applications. However, if you're working in a studio (home or professional), or you do landscape, architecture or commercial/corporate, then 12MP probably isn't going to cut it.

The drawbacks of 36MP are mostly due to the size of the files, and the computer needed to process the files quickly and efficiently (I read a D800 RAW file is about 75Mb in size.)

Since you mentioned you can return it, I'm guessing you bought it new. If that's the case you probably paid $2600-2700 for your D700. The D800 is only $300-400 more than that. You'll make more than that back if you ever chose to sell it. The only downside to returning the D700 is that the earliest you'll get a D800 in your hands if you pre-order today will be the end of March. If that's not a dealbreaker for you, then.....

Bottom line: If it was me, I would already have my new D700 boxed up. The D800 isn't just an incremental update like the D4. It's 3 TIMES THE RESOLUTION, a brand new sensor and image processor, and full HD video.

I think you'll regret it if you don't choose the D800.

I'm hanging on for the ride with my D700 too, unless the D800 rolls out and just blows everyone away. I'm not feeling it yet.

What kind of studio work requires 36 mp?

Why not? Just curious - I want opinions.
First, I have no use for 36 megapixels because I don't have the lenses to back it up. I'm of the opinion, and it may be a wrong opinion, that the only way to get the most out of a 36mp camera is with exceptionally sharp lenses and mine don't fit that category. I have "Good" lenses, but I don't have "Exceptional" lenses.

Second, I'm not convinced there is any software that can reliably manipulate a 36mp image. And if it can I suspect it will take a lot of computer to handle them in a reasonable amount of time. I heard, and you know as well as I do how unreliable unfounded information can be, that Nikon is shipping a newer version of Capture NX2 with the D800. They already have a 64-bit version out, which eliminates the 4gb memory limitation, but I heard that there is a newer version than that shipping with the D800. Some of the medium format cameras probably top that limit but I haven't heard how well most software will handle files that large.

My concerns may be unfounded but since nobody has one yet that answers aren't yet known.

I also just bought a D700, and I'm also very excited about the D800, like every other member on this forum....
No, not every member. This one isn't interested.

Why not? Just curious - I want opinions.

I'm much more interested in picking up a used D700 than I am a D800. I don't want that kind of resolution. I want larger pixels because they are a bit more forgiving and don't require THE best glass to look sharp. I also don't care much about how it will print at 36"x48"... Anything I print, 12-16MP will be just fine.

Just curious again - what is the largest you have successfully printed images with the D700? By successfully I mean something that can be framed and hung up on a living room wall.

I thought once about full frame...and the D800....but Im a rookie and in love with my D7000 16.7MP crop sensor.....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back