D700 vs. D7000

MrSleepin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i am looking at the 2 side by side... and i am at a loss as to why the 700 is $1500 more than the 7000....???

i see the fx format/bigger sensor being a big factor... but what else makes the 700 worth morth than double that of the 7000.

i'm still using the d80 and wanting to upgrade... i found a 700 locally for $1800 (body only) $2200 with a 85mm 1.8f lens... but i still think i want to go the cheaper route and get the 7000

they are both nikon....so, no help what so ever.

Full frame is significantly better than a cropped sensor. The D700 will also destroy it in low-light situations. The high ISO performance is pretty impressive. There are other differences (FPS with grip, larger eye piece, etc) but those are the two biggest IMO.

MrSleepin said:
i am looking at the 2 side by side... and i am at a loss as to why the 700 is $1500 more than the 7000....???

i see the fx format/bigger sensor being a big factor... but what else makes the 700 worth morth than double that of the 7000.

i'm still using the d80 and wanting to upgrade... i found a 700 locally for $1800 (body only) $2200 with a 85mm 1.8f lens... but i still think i want to go the cheaper route and get the 7000

What lenses do you own currently? How much money do you plan to spend? How experienced are you with photography? These are some of the factors outside just the price consideration.

I personally have a D700 but heard a lot of good things about D7000. FX vs DX is a never ending debate. Good luck with your decision.

here's my lenses:
18-55 and 55-200 kit lenses
8mm fisheye Rokinon
15mm fisheye Sigma
50mm 1.8 nikkor
60mm 2.8 micro nikkor
85mm 1.4 Rokinon

it's not much.

By the looks of your lenses, they are DX. Moving to a D700 may not be a wise choice as you will not be taking full advantage of the FX sensor. If you plan on upgrading lenses, then spend the extra money on the D700. To me, and this is personal opinion only, the D???? line is beginner, D??? is amateur, and D? is professional. While the D700 is better on ISO, you do not get real advantages till you hit the D3s.

i see...

i noticed the 7000 has a slightly smaller sensor than the d80... so i am not really intending on upgrading the sensor. my main concern is the 3fps that my d80 does. i want at least 5fps and the 7000 does 6fps. i guess it's a silly reason to upgrade. and high iso is something i dont really take advantage of... most of my shots will never go over 400.

Jump on the D7000 then. The only other thing I can think of is the size. For my hands, the D7000 is somewhat small, I prefer the full size more but again, my preference only.

they are both nikon....so, no help what so ever.

Ok so same reason a GT-R costs more than a 350z... they are both Nissan. That better? And like everyone else has eluded to, the body is one of the smallest price increases you will experience going to full frame if all you have are DX lenses.

The D700 will be replaced in Nikon's line up soon. If it wasn't for the earthquake/tsunami in Japan, and then very destructive flooding in Thailand the D700 replacement, the D800(?), would likely have already been launched.

The D7000 is Nikon's top-of-the-line entry-level camera. The D700 is nikon's top-of-the-line prosumer camera.

The D700 has a full magnesium alloy metal chassis and full weather sealing, while the D7000 only has magnesium alloy top and back plates, and just some weather sealing.

The D700 has up to 8 fps burst mode shooting and can do up to 9 auto-exposure brackets. The D7000 can do 6 fps in burst mode and just 3 auto-exposure brackets.

In short, even being long in the tooth, the D700 has many features, functions, and capabilities the D7000 just does not have that easily justifies the differences in their prices.

Last edited:
Go to http://www.camera-catalog.comhttp://www.camera-catalog.com when you get the page up click on the "digital camera comparison" box just under the red "Digital camera box. Type in Nikon in the mfgr. box and the 700 and then move over to the right and type in Nikon and then the 7000. You will get a side by side comparison for both camera with the user rating at the bottom.

I just tried it and it worked for me. Try typing it in the address bar and see what happens.

Most reactions

Back