D7000 AF issue question

myko5

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just picked up a used D7000 from a user on Fredmiranda. I have been shooting with a D90 and been having no problem getting sharp images with my sigma lenses on that. I have been using the D7000 the last couple days and most of the pictures have been off. Today I was taking simple pictures of the end cap to the lens. I would use the center focus point to focus on the G in the SIGMA on the cap. Upon review with the focus point in the display, it is not where I focused. The point would be near the rim of the cap. The ridges on the cap would be sharp, but the G I focused on would not be so sharp.

I used the same exposure settings for all shots taken. Shooting down at the cap at roughly a 45 degree angle. I tried using the AF fine tune also, but had the same issue.

Any suggestions???

Take a shot in Small JPEG and post it unedited here. I can check which focus points are being used.

Sparky I think I found the issue. Though I don't really understand it as the system seems to act differently on the D7000 then the D90. The focus point is different due to the camera being in AF-C. So it is predicting the focus point if I read it right in the manual. Though this confuses me because the cap is stationary. I switched to AF-S and the focus point remains where I place it. On my D90 in AF-S I could select my focus point, but on my D7000 is stays on the center focus point. Guess this new to me camera is going to take more learning then anticipated.

Using AF-S on the D7000 you should be able select any of the focus points, as long as the AF-Area mode is set to Single-Point AF.(see page 96 of the D7000 user's manual)

It sounds like your D7000 may be set to Dynamic-Area AF. (page 94)
Or the multiselector switch is set to disable the multiselector. (Also page 96)

The D90 and the D7000 use different AF modules.
D90 - Nikon Multi-CAM 1000 AF module
D7000 - Nikon Multi-CAM 4800DX AF module

Last edited:
Thanks KMH, that was a great help. I also focus selector lock ON.

Sparky, thanks for the reference.

All done playing for today, time to go get some things done around the house so the wife doesn't yell at me for playing with the camera all day.

All done playing for today, time to go get some things done around the house so the wife doesn't yell at me for playing with the camera all day.

Glad its not just me that gets yelled at for playing with my camera... :)

Most reactions

Back