D7000...All I have to say is WOW!

SunnyHours

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I went out and bought my D7000 yesterday. What an amazing upgrade from a D40 :O
The focusing system is extremely quick, lightning quick! The controls are simply amazing, I never thought I'd feel overwhelmed by all the controls :p The viewfinder is also gorgeous. I'm still discovering new features. I already feel like a pro photographer :p Haha no, I'm kidding, but my pictures do seem more alive though, Dynamic Range does make a huge difference! I'm guessing the fact I just spent 1600$ on gear prevents me somewhat from missing some shots too ;) Hehe

I've used a D40, D70s and a D80 and nothing comes even remotely close to the agility of this camera. I'm truly shocked!

I just got mine this weekend too, upgraded from a D90. I am equally impressed! Lets go take some pictures!

I think people who doesnt own one under estimate that camera

I like it just fine. I do a lot of HDR so programmed my U1 and U2 buttons so I just click U1, M, U2 for a complete 9 shot 1EF HDR package. I use what I need and toss the rest.

I like it just fine. I do a lot of HDR so programmed my U1 and U2 buttons so I just click U1, M, U2 for a complete 9 shot 1EF HDR package. I use what I need and toss the rest.

thats a neat idea.

Here is how to set the U1 and U2 for 9 shot HDR.

As D7000 owners know, bracketing is limited to three frames. Three frames spaced 2EV apart is probably adequate for most scenes, but sometimes you need more. This method makes use of User modes U1 and U2.

After the initial setup (explained below), WHICH YOU ONLY DO ONCE, shooting an HDR is simple. You only need to make three quick adjustments to your camera before shooting:
(1) set the Mode to A
(2) set the Release mode to CH
(3) set Bracketing to 3F in 1.0 EV increments.

To set up U1 and U2 for a 9-frame bracket spaced 1 EV apart (YOU ONLY DO THIS ONCE):

* Set mode dial to A (Aperture priority)

* Set Shutter release mode = CH (continuous high speed)

* Custom setting e6 -> Bracketing order = Under, Meter, Over

* ISO = Auto

* Bracketing = 3F in 1.0 EV increments

* turn the Exposure comp dial to -3 EV
* Setup Menu -> Save user settings -> U1

* turn the Exposure comp dial to +3EV
* Setup Menu -> Save user settings -> U2

You are done setting up U1 and U2. Be sure to set Exposure comp dial back to 0 EV, set bracketing to 0F, and set the Shutter release mode to whatever you normally keep it at.

Now say you stumble on a scene that calls for HDR. 

(1) Set the Mode to A

(2) set Bracketing to 3F in 1.0 EV increments

(3) set the release mode to CH.

Now press the shutter release button three times:

(1) once with Mode dial set to U1

(2) once with Mode dial set to A

(3) once with Mode dial set to U2

This creates nine exposures in the following order (relative to normal exposure):

-4EV -3EV -2EV -1EV 0EV +1EV +2EV +3EV +4EV

After shooting, review the histograms and possibly select a subset of the nine shots, deleting others.

The procedure is similar for setting up a 5-frame bracket, and is easy to figure out once you understand the 9-frame setup.

The viewfinder is also gorgeous.

That was the first thing I noticed in the camera store - I put it up to my eye and went, "Whoa!" Coming from a D70, that was quite an upgrade. :)

Here is how to set the U1 and U2 for 9 shot HDR.

As D7000 owners know, bracketing is limited to three frames. Three frames spaced 2EV apart is probably adequate for most scenes, but sometimes you need more. This method makes use of User modes U1 and U2.

After the initial setup (explained below), WHICH YOU ONLY DO ONCE, shooting an HDR is simple. You only need to make three quick adjustments to your camera before shooting:
(1) set the Mode to A
(2) set the Release mode to CH
(3) set Bracketing to 3F in 1.0 EV increments.

To set up U1 and U2 for a 9-frame bracket spaced 1 EV apart (YOU ONLY DO THIS ONCE):

* Set mode dial to A (Aperture priority)

* Set Shutter release mode = CH (continuous high speed)

* Custom setting e6 -> Bracketing order = Under, Meter, Over

* ISO = Auto

* Bracketing = 3F in 1.0 EV increments

* turn the Exposure comp dial to -3 EV
* Setup Menu -> Save user settings -> U1

* turn the Exposure comp dial to +3EV
* Setup Menu -> Save user settings -> U2

You are done setting up U1 and U2. Be sure to set Exposure comp dial back to 0 EV, set bracketing to 0F, and set the Shutter release mode to whatever you normally keep it at.

Now say you stumble on a scene that calls for HDR. 

(1) Set the Mode to A

(2) set Bracketing to 3F in 1.0 EV increments

(3) set the release mode to CH.

Now press the shutter release button three times:

(1) once with Mode dial set to U1

(2) once with Mode dial set to A

(3) once with Mode dial set to U2

This creates nine exposures in the following order (relative to normal exposure):

-4EV -3EV -2EV -1EV 0EV +1EV +2EV +3EV +4EV

After shooting, review the histograms and possibly select a subset of the nine shots, deleting others.

The procedure is similar for setting up a 5-frame bracket, and is easy to figure out once you understand the 9-frame setup.

thanks brutha, just got my D7000 and you just solved the one drawback i had found
bigthumb.gif

Bynx, You are a GENIUS and thank you so much for sharing. I was bummed when I found out that 5+ shots for HDR only came on the PRO camera, but now I can rest easy knowing that it can be also be done on my D700.

have you tried this with 2ev shots? can you post a few samples im considering a decision to buy the d7000 soon :)

Thanks,
TimR
Niagara Falls, Canada

I've never used a D7000 but can't you just put it on manual and take lots of shots using the exposure compensation -+?

You can but I would think that every time you touch the camera you risk knocking it out of alignment and would then get some ghosting.

Hey guys, congratulations on the purchase! :)
Have anyone tried printing from it in 16x20 or larger at ISOs of 800? Few months ago, I was offered a used body (and considered it) but after speaking w/ few labs that I use general consensus was that IQ in print isn't the best of Nikons. I still have that offer so if the bug was fixed I'll probably add d7000 to my work gear.

Thanks

Hey guys, congratulations on the purchase! :)
Have anyone tried printing from it in 16x20 or larger at ISOs of 800? Few months ago, I was offered a used body (and considered it) but after speaking w/ few labs that I use general consensus was that IQ in print isn't the best of Nikons. I still have that offer so if the bug was fixed I'll probably add d7000 to my work gear.

Thanks

I just made a poster sized print 20x30 from an image I took of Moulton Barn. I was at ISO 800 and ISO 400 for the two shots. I do not see any issues with IQ at all.

Most reactions

Back