D7000 and D300s

Blake.Oney

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was looking around on BH and saw the D7000. It seems like it is a lot closer to the D300s than I expected. What do you guys think about it? It has the dual card slots, and a few other features that were kind of D300 features previously. It's cheaper than the D300 and I know it's not completely up there with it, but it came a lot closer than I thought it would. I'm still planning 100% on getting the D300s, but this new one is pretty interesting.

Yep flickr has a D7000 group. Can read all about it there.

Personally am shooting a used D200. And would like a D300 but the D7000 seems to be a winner on all the fronts. And more than likely if had the $$$ would probably opt for it.

Nikon's put a lot of higher-end features into its "enthusiast" camera...there are some areas where the D7000 is ahead of the older D300 and D300s models...the D300s will be replaced before too long, by probably a body carrying the D400 moniker...and that will be well ahead of the D300s...

Yes, unlike the competition, Nikon has taken its "enthusiast" camera and made it markedly better and more advanced than the model it replaces, making the "new" camera much,much more desirable than "the other guys" did, when they took their enthusiast's model and dumbed it down and made it less-appealing.

If buying now, get the D7000 if you don't want a Full Frame body. If you already have a decent body and can wait until next year, the D300 will probably get replaced and there may be a newer entry level Full Frame.

If buying now, get the D7000 if you don't want a Full Frame body. If you already have a decent body and can wait until next year, the D300 will probably get replaced and there may be a newer entry level Full Frame.

This is what I am hoping to do...

Well if the recommendation is to go with the 7000 over the 300s then I may actually do that. I mean it is cheaper.

The D7000 really is a better deal than the 300s currently. If I was upgrading now, and only had ~$1200-1800 to spend, the D7000 is hands down winner. Assuming you are already using the 18-55 and 55-200, I'd grab the kit since I think it comes with a 104 or some such.

I would, but I was pushing it planning on the D300s body refurbished. So I'll probably get the D7000 body brand new and save a couple hundred bucks and maybe get the 50mm f1.8 or something. I may be able to squeeze enough for the kit, but we'll see.

Nikon's put a lot of higher-end features into its "enthusiast" camera...there are some areas where the D7000 is ahead of the older D300 and D300s models...the D300s will be replaced before too long, by probably a body carrying the D400 moniker...and that will be well ahead of the D300s...

Yes, unlike the competition, Nikon has taken its "enthusiast" camera and made it markedly better and more advanced than the model it replaces, making the "new" camera much,much more desirable than "the other guys" did, when they took their enthusiast's model and dumbed it down and made it less-appealing.

Nikon somewhat tends to do this... sometimes much faster than this. The D70S was remarkably better than the D100 in a number of ways. It only lacked a few "more professional" features, but generall outperformed the D100 in many ways.

So sad the pre-ordering is available only in america :(, cant wait on having hands on with D7000..... I was about to take D90 and thanks to Derrel for replying on my older post... Good thing I can have a new and improved SLR soon ;)

Anyone knows its exact availability?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back