D7000-D7100 Sensors and AF modules

susceptible. :)

The D7000 image sensor has an AA (anti-aliasing) filter in front of it, the D7100 has no AA filter.

Consequently the D7100 is more supportable to moiré, which may be what many are calling 'banding'. Moiré pattern - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well as Derrel like to show the comparison of the 70D to the D7100 then D7100 actually has much less moire then the 70D so I don't think this is an issue with this camera.
The AA filter is there to minimize moire but it seems Nikons engineers found way to do the same without an AA filter.

It's kind of an odd thing, but on newer sensors like those in the D800e and the D7100, as well as other cameras from other manufacturers, moire, which was once a BIG problem with low-MP sensors, is now not nearly as much of an issue...it's become for the most part, one of the digital imaging challenges that we no longer have to worry about all that often.Nikon,SOny,Leica, and probably other companies are now making high-MP cameras that have no anti-alisasign filters, and there's really not much of an issue. Just as in the early days of digital imaging, "the jaggies", or diagonal, stair-stepping on diagonal lines was at one time a HUGE problem...but that hurdle has been, for the most part, overcome. Moire was a BIG problem back in the days when a 6MP fuill-frame from Contax or Kodak was the state of the art...but that's now been six generations ago.

As goodguy alludes to, the Nikon D7100's moire tendency in video capture mode is practically nil, whereas the Canon 70D is riddled with moire. Even though the D7100 has no AA-filter, and the 70D does. So...check out the segment that starts at 17:45

Last edited by a moderator:
As a new owner of a D7100 I would certainly endorse it, but I can't make a meaningful comparison to the D7000. I'm sure it's also a great camera, I just want the newer sensor since I tend to use my technology a little longer than shelf life. Here's a test i tried the other night. Take a dark frame (lens cap on) on bulb or 30 second exposure, wait a while do it again. It looks like at least on my camera, the low light noise is banded fairly predictably. So a dark frame with the same exposure as your shots should take care of most of the banding issues imho. This can be done in rawtherapee or darktable, I'm sure adobe also has methods to do this. Best, -Q

did you see the date of the article? They speculated the D7100 (calling it the D7200) one month before it was announced and and got the specs of the AF wrong. Plus they completely missed the mark on the D9000.

Why does this one year old junk article have any merit to the current discussion?

Last edited:
A year? Then it cant be too long any more before they release it.

Thom Hogan mentioned the expected D9000, the D300s model's "replacement", just this week. I believe he thinks it might be announced in February of 2014. But speculation about future models does no good as far as actually taking pictures!

The op has plenty of cameras. I'm just trying to save him the pain of Nikon fiftythreevitis.

The op has plenty of cameras. I'm just trying to save him the pain of Nikon fiftythreevitis.

Say what??? Nikon fiftythreevitis????

So far lots of good comments, definitely a lot to sway me back to getting the D7100.

How is the Auto WB on the Nikon D7100, I feel that the Auto WB on my D5100 seems to be off, mainly a little too cool, oh and note that I shoot RAW, all the time.

That's when you buy a camera and a short time after that the new model comes out. Sadly there is no known cure for this, it has claimed many lives. :salute:

Say what??? Nikon fiftythreevitis????

So far lots of good comments, definitely a lot to sway me back to getting the D7100.

How is the Auto WB on the Nikon D7100, I feel that the Auto WB on my D5100 seems to be off, mainly a little too cool, oh and note that I shoot RAW, all the time.

On my D5100 I have the Picture control set to Vivid - like you I found on the standard settings the Auto WB came out a little on the cool side as well, but once I set picture control to vivid they came out pretty much perfect.

Just get the D7100 and be happy, OP. It's always fun to spend other peoples monies.

Oh, that picture setting to vivid is only going to affect the jpg output pic (and jpg preview file), not the raw file. Although IIRC if you use the picture setting and import raw with capture nx2 it should auto apply those settings to the jpg output file, but my memory is very iffy on that. The raw file is going to be that, raw.

That's when you buy a camera and a short time after that the new model comes out. Sadly there is no known cure for this, it has claimed many lives. :salute:

Never heard/read anyone call it that. Buyers remorse, sure, but never what you said.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back