D7000 Leaves shadow when using flash

PhotoEssence

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a new D7000 and whenever I use the camera's built in flash, it leaves a rounded half circle-like shadow on the picture. I've made sure nothing is blocking the flash or the light that shines first. I even removed the lens hood. What could be causing this? ( I don't seem to have permission to insert a .jpg to show you the issue). Thank you! Rosie

you can post it to flickr and then post the BBC code.

I posted the picture in my gallery; it shows the odd shadow on the right side of the photo.

Ug, really? What a poor design then. I removed the lens hood thinking it was that....but it still shows up. Think I'll go back to National Camera and gripe.. :)

no need to complain, pop up flashes are horrid on any cam

See pages 144 and 271 of your manual.

Yeah. Forget about your pop up flash. Go get yourself a nice external hotshoe flash. Much nicer. They sit higher so you don't get that problem, and you can bounce them too,.

D7000 Leaves shadow when using flash ..... 17-50mm f/2.8.....
Operator error, didn't consult user's manual.

Nothing new there, happens a lot. I thinks sometimes people think the manual is nothing but emergency toilet paper. Maybe that is why and more products don't come with a printed manual.

Going back to the store to gripe because one's actions caused the difficulty is pretty low.

How close are you to your subject? The closer you are the worse this will be. Figure out with some test shooting how far away your subject has to be for the flash to shoot over the lens. Then at least you will have an idea of when you can use the pop up flash without the shadow.

How close are you to your subject? The closer you are the worse this will be. Figure out with some test shooting how far away your subject has to be for the flash to shoot over the lens. Then at least you will have an idea of when you can use the pop up flash without the shadow.

This is a tad misleading.

For example if the lens casts a shadow in the bottom third of the frame because the pop-up is too close to the lens axis, then that shadow will be present in the bottom third of every frame, regardless of what is in the frame.

If you get a shadow in an image of a wall caused by the lens shadowing the pop-up flash, that shadow is not going to go away by stepping further away from the wall.

D7000 Leaves shadow when using flash

"Pan burns eggs when left unattended"

"Bathtub overflows when water left running full-blast for 20 minutes"

"Toaster top melts plastic bread bag when bag left on top of toaster"

"Milk spoils when left out over weekend on counter"

Some things actually happen,repeatably, and predictably, but novice users still blame the products. If you RTFM, (read the fine manual) it will describe the lens/pop-up flash combos that cause shadows...Anyway,if it makes you feel better, you can complain to the camera store that sold you the 'defective' Nikon...your call will be the talk of the lunch room for about 5 minutes...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back