D7000 lens advice!

jns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello

I'm buying a D7000 and wondering if I should get the lens that comes with the kit, 18-105
($1200)

OR

get a 30 mm f1.8 AND a 55-200mm f4 - 5.6
(body 900, 30mm - $200, 55-200 - $150)

Either combination is about the same price in total, and maybe I would be better off with a prime and a zoom lens instead of the 18-105 which is a more general coverage and has decent reviews, but maybe my money is better used with the other lenses?

I am a new photographer, and am turning this into a career slowly, and like to do lots of street photography, nature, and some event photography...

Cheers
JNS

Put the cart before the horse. Slow down learn the skills technique equipment before you make a career of it

I recently purchased the camera with those two lenses. The prime 35mm is know as the eye-view distance (about 55 at the 35mm equivalent). In other words, it is about what you see with the naked eye. For example, look down a golf fairway standing on the first tee, then look through the 35mm and your view will look about the same. One of the ways to get used to your camera is to just shoot at the one mm distance and you will learn what to expect. Of course, you can do this with a zoom lens, too. Set it at one focal length for the whole time you are shooting. If you are learning the camera features as I am, you can do so with either lens.

One feature I like about the camera is the multi focus points (39) that are available. Also check out ISO Sensitivity which sets limits on ISO and shutter speed which will help avoid blurring when hand-holding the camera.

Petterson has a book on Shutter Speed and Flash Photography as well. You can take a class from him, too, at PPSOP.com and even if you do not take a class there, he has informative photography e-mails to subscribe to at no cost. BetterPhoto.co is another site for excellent online classes.

I am a new photographer, and am turning this into a career slowly, and like to do lots of street photography, nature, and some event photography...

Just get the Kit 18-105mm lens... play with it... learn with it.. have fun with it. It will do everything on your list (and when it doesn't, you'll know more about what you want in your next lens).

Most reactions

Back