D7000 Oil Spots on Sensor

Bynx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone else had this problem? When the mirror flips up small drops of excess oil splash onto the sensor leaving little circles of dark as you can see in the image. I imagine when the camera is out in the heat all day, the oil looses up and is more apt to splash. Then when the camera is out of the heat the oil stiffens up. Even dries up on the sensor. I sent my Nikon in today to have the service guys deal with it.

a4muj5.jpg

Looks like typical sensor dust...but oil would look the same I guess. I'd think that if any added lubrication is used, it would be a grease, not oil.

Shouldn't be too hard to clean, I'd guess...but it shouldn't be splashing lubricant

I think D7000 has few quality issues, refer here too:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/nikon/254218-d7000-mechanical-sound.html

My D7000 'new out of box from Nikon Authorized Dealer' is still at Nikon HQ/Service Center (in Malaysia). They refuse to exchange but just want to check if the unit functionally working (I still request the shop to convey the message to Nikon about the quality of the 'out of box' product and they should exchange it). So I haven't had a chance to test taking real photo yet.

How long have you owned the D7000?

Ive had it almost exactly 4 months. The problems didnt start at once. But when it happened it was all of a sudden. No mechanical sound problems or dead pixels like you had.

I have had my D7000 out on really, really hot days.. where I was soaked from the heat, and the body was actually hot to the touch (no matter how much I try to protect it!). Haven't seen this issue with oil, grease, whatever.

Have had some dust.. but the built in sensor clean, and some air bulb squeezed at the sensor cleaned that up.

No sound issues and no dead pixels either.

Im glad to hear you say that cgipson1. That means after they clean mine or replace the innards there is hope it will be the same.

In general oil shouldn't be spilling onto the sensor, but is has been known to happen (I think it was a major problem with either the canon 5D or 5DMII) and is easily fixed, though unlike dust, oil can take a fair few wet cleans to really get it off the sensor (as the first few cleans will only smear it over the sensor). So it shouldn't take them long to correct the issue.

And they should find the source and cause of the spilling oil. They should fix it otherwise it'll spill again. Is there any part of the camera that keep oil container or required to be lubricated or so? If the oil spill after few months it looks like something/part is leaking.

Bynx, let us know if they fixed your D7000. Maybe you can also ask them what cause it and share, perhaps D7000 requires special care. (well, not that I know/heard)

Its on delivery by UPS to Nikon Canada. Its supposed to arrive before noon today. I will let you know what the results are.

Please do.

I have this issue intermittently. Usually only seems to present itself if I fire the shutter rapidly with the continuous mode.

Easy enough to clean.... and I would assume that the issue would fix itself eventually if for no other reason than running out of excess lubricant.... but if they would fix it, well, even better.

I was warned by my dealer not to try cleaning it otherwise Id be blamed for causing the problem if the spots didnt come off and it needed to go in for servicing. I didnt touch it, they now have it, so if there is any more problems in the future they have a record of it. And I can find out where the service people live.

I think there is an issue. I have had a couple friends send theirs in and it came back with some repairs to the shutter. I had some but i cleaned it. Will look for more but hope I don't find any. Dust is fine this was more.

Mine is at Nikon for that very exact problem. They are fixing it under warranty and parts are back-order. They told me there are 8 more D7000s behind mine awaiting parts.

I bought a craigslist D80 crackhead cheap thats working fantastic in the FL heat.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back