D7000 Oil Spots on Sensor

I was told they disassembled the inner parts, cleaned them all and got rid of the excess oil. There is no written mention of a chronic problem with D7000s. Dirty sensor and cleaned is all they have written. At no charge so that has to say something. If it was just dust they would have laughed and sent me a bill.

Mine originally they were going to clean - then sent me an email saying they have to replace parts. Its been there forever. I hope they give me a list of the parts they replaced!

If they do please share with us. If they don't please ask them. I guess D7000 is a little fragile?!

Sounds like the service guy made a slip and broke a part that wasnt in stock. From a relatively simple cleaning you have to wait a long time. All Nikon's cause so there should be some satisfactory solution to the problem. Insist on asking what part and why it has to be replaced. Why should you have to wait if they screwed up again.

2 weeks? They are REPLACING parts in mine because of the oil spillage spots and have had it 6 weeks. Maybe it will be right when i get it back and it won't splash more oil on the sensor. Good luck with yours.

Ditto here! Sent my D7000 in for oil on the sensor on August 8th. Had a parts hold for over 4 weeks. Received it on Sept 14. After taking 10 shots oil AGAIN appeared on the sensor. First one spot then two, three ..... Sent it back yesterday. Was told by Nikon support that they will rush the repair. Totally dissapointed with the fact that I've only had the camera for 62 days and had to send it in for repair. They have had it almost as long as I did! Pay good money for a quality camera and not able to use it. FRUSTRATING!

2 weeks? They are REPLACING parts in mine because of the oil spillage spots and have had it 6 weeks. Maybe it will be right when i get it back and it won't splash more oil on the sensor. Good luck with yours.

Initially when I sent my D7000 in the first time I was told it was dust on the sensor and at no cost it would be cleaned. I question the diagnosis with tech support - which is in the Dominican Republic. I told them I wanted to speak with someone in the repair dept. and I was told that is not possible. after numerous calls to Nikon in NY I was put into a voice mail. I thought my call would not be returned but was surprised when it was. I explained my situation and the representative told me he would call Nikon in NY and have it rechecked.

Later I was found out (by checking My Nikon site) that there was a parts hold and they were replacing parts. I inquired what part it was that they were replacing and was told the mirror drive or mirror assembly unit.

Almost 6 weeks go by and I finally received my camera back. I immediately took test shots. OMG! I still have the problem with oil on the sensor. The repair order listed that they replaced SQ Base Plate??? I called tech support and question this. They told meI should never have been told the mirror drive was being replaced and that it was the SQ Base Plate all along. Nonetheless I've sent the camera back a second time.

I'm very disappointed that having purchased a higher end camera that I would have this much problems out of the box.

I have the same camera and I do not have that problem at all! However it is brand new. So I would get it checked out. I am not sure if it is normal or not but it doesn't seem like it is.

Russ, with a new camera, having to send it in for a fix, returned, and sent back again should qualify for a new replacement. Let them fix the problem and sell it as a refurbished.

Had the same problem, RIDICULOUS if you ask me. I havent sent mine in yet because I need it for photography class. I would say its unacceptable that we buy a brand new camera and we have to ship it back and fourth to get it fixed.

I have the same issues as well. My D7000 is just 2 months old and I have already seen oil spots on my images which really is frustrating for a $3500 (including the lens 18-200VRII, Nikon NC Filter, 32GB Scandisk Card & Extra EN-L15 Battery). In fairness I really enjoyed the ease of handling and operation of the D7000 and I still want to have one if guaranteed oil spots would no longer be there, but TA Mcalister (Nikon NZ) could not guarantee that to me. My D7000 is with Nikon now and I expect a full brand new product replacement not a repaired one. I still hope Nikon won't let me down. I am also looking to downgrade to the D5100 or if not shift to Canon.

I have the same issues as well. My D7000 is just 2 months old and I have already seen oil spots on my images which really is frustrating for a $3500 (including the lens 18-200VRII, Nikon NC Filter, 32GB Scandisk Card & Extra EN-L15 Battery). In fairness I really enjoyed the ease of handling and operation of the D7000 and I still want to have one if guaranteed oil spots would no longer be there, but TA Mcalister (Nikon NZ) could not guarantee that to me. My D7000 is with Nikon now and I expect a full brand new product replacement not a repaired one. I still hope Nikon won't let me down. I am also looking to downgrade to the D5100 or if not shift to Canon.

I offered to pay the difference for that after mine sat in the shop over a month they wouldn't do it.

So just clean the friggin sensor... no big deal! It turned out that mine had the same issue... I cleaned the sensor and BOOM! Problem gone.. and has not returned..... :)

So just clean the friggin sensor... no big deal! It turned out that mine had the same issue... I cleaned the sensor and BOOM! Problem gone.. and has not returned..... :)

Mine required hard parts to be replaced, it went from status at Nikon "clean sensor" to "parts required", thats why it sat there for months awaiting parts.

Mine required hard parts to be replaced, it went from status at Nikon "clean sensor" to "parts required", thats why it sat there for months awaiting parts.

Yes.. I remember that! But now I wonder.. did it really need the new parts? :) Mine actually ended up with the same spotty images after a while... and I decided to just clean the puppy, instead of sending it in. Problem is gone... and have seen no evidence of it returning.

Yes.. I remember that! But now I wonder.. did it really need the new parts? :) Mine actually ended up with the same spotty images after a while... and I decided to just clean the puppy, instead of sending it in. Problem is gone... and have seen no evidence of it returning.

They claimed mine was cleaned and more crap hit the sensor. But thats just my luck!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back