D7000 or 70-200 f/2.8

Copey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, so im looking to either uprgrade from a d5100 to a d7000 or to purchase a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8. I currently use my 55-300 f/4.5-5.6 which is manageable but when it comes to autofocus speed, it's very slow. Do you think it would be better to get a d7000 since it has the more focus points or the tamron since it is overall faster and has a much higher max aperture? My main concern is autofocus speed.

If auto focus is your main concern then your body will not help with that.

However, I will say that I went against typical advice and upgraded my body first to the d7000 and I would do it all over again. I was in a situation to buy more glass shortly after though.

I wouldn't bother "upgrading" to the D7000. You'll get a lot more out of a 70-200 f2.8 lens than a D5100 -> D7000, if you don't already have decent glass.

Many people have had issues with their D7000's as well, and it is an older camera that is getting older every day. It's not a bad camera, but based on what's out there today, and what you already have, there are better options for your dollar. You should be looking at the D7100 versus a 70-200 lens, in which case I'd still say go for the 70-200 f2.8 if it's the focal length you want.

I shoot a lot of sports, track, football, everything for yearbook. I also do quite a bit of photojournalism for yearbook too. It's all candid but mainly im focusing on sports.

I shoot a lot of sports, track, football, everything for yearbook. I also do quite a bit of photojournalism for yearbook too. It's all candid but mainly im focusing on sports.

I think the Tamron is the better option over the D7000 for sure. You will absolutely get better shots with a D5100 + Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC, versus a D7000 + 55-300. The Tamron should last you as well, so you can later upgrade your camera body.

I think it would be a mistake to purchase the D7000 over the 70-200 f2.8 given your needs and what you currently have.

Just FWI..

The old Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 auto focus speed is sloooooow (Tamron -70-200mm F/2.8(Model A001)). The new Tamron SP 70-200MM F/2.8 is much faster (Tamron -70-200mm F/2.8(Model A009)). The new one is also twice the price of the old one.

If Autofocus speed is what your looking for stay away from the old one (Model #A001)... Your 55-300 will AF faster :)

If your looking at the new one (~$1400US) i would recommend you take a look at a used/refurbished Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR1 (the old one). The older Nikon VR1 can be found for $1200-$1400 and is (IMHO) built better, sharper and has one of nikons fastest AF speeds. The NEW Tamron is much better then the old one.. but IMHO there are better options.

PS. full disclosure.. I've shot with both the Tamrons and i own the Nikon.

At the core, the D5100 and D7000 use the same sensor so it wouldn't be the biggest upgrade ever. Still, the D7000 has some nice improvements over the D5100 (AF motor, focus points, dual cards, metering, etc) that would be nice to have. However, I think your best bet would be to upgrade the lens and then upgrade the body later. I too would recommend looking for a Nikon 70-200 VRI over the Tamron 70-200 VC especially if AF is your primary motivation for upgrading.

AS someone who upgraded from the D5100 to the D7000 (and still has both), I'd say don't discount just how much of an upgrade all those improvements are. One of the biggest differences is having the focus motor in the camera body, allowing you to consider older lenses that wouldn't auto-focus on the D5100.
Still, having also shot with the 55-300…if I had to pick one or the other, I think I'd upgrade the glass. Like you, I found the 55-300 to be pretty slow on the AF. And while it seemed acceptable at the time, because I didn't know any better, the IQ isn't anything to write home about either.
For the record, if it were ME, I wouldn't be looking at the Tamron though. I'd either be looking at a used Nikon 70-200 or a Sigma 70-200; I've heard very good things about the Sigma lens for the price.

I'd probably upgrade the glass. If you get the D7000 (which I currently shoot with and love), you'll still end up wanting to get better glass. So, get the glass now and see where it takes you...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back