D7000 or D5100

Consider the D90. It's got double LCD and double wheel, just like the D7000.

What the D7000 gives you on top of what the D90 gives you is:

1) More resolution (but do you really need more than 12 MP?)
2) Better AF (it can be useful for action shooting, such as sports or flying birds)
3) Slightly better behavior in low light

But all this comes at the cost of 400 USD or so.

Ciao!

I'd go for a D5100 rather than a D90. Price is about the same, image quality is much better and so on.

[/QUOTE]

. The d7000 also has 1080 at 30 frames as well....[/QUOTE]

Since when?

Mine does not and if they have issued a 3rd firmware, open source, or crack I would like to know about it.

Last edited:
D7000 hands down. I guess it all depends on the budget but If I would be to start again, I'd go for a D7000 with an 18-200 VRII.

After a while I would check to see what focal length gets used the most and I would upgrade the lens around that.

Just my 2c and I have a D90 with 18-200 VR, 70-300VR, 24-80 AF and a 50mm f1.8. For me the 18-200 seems to sit on the body 99% of the time even though I'm sacrificing quite a bit by using this lens.

Since when?

Mine does not and if they have issued a 3rd firmware, open source, or crack I would like to know about it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the D7000 can do 24fps @1080...

Another thing I dont quite understand is why do people look to buy a DSLR based on the movie capabilities and features... Primary feature of a DSLR is taking pictures, so that's what the buyer should look into... I know there are some advantages in shooting video with a DSLR but again for the average person I really don't think this should be the main focus.

Last edited:
Sorry my bad its does not have 30fps I was thinking of the 5d I shoot most of my video stuff on. While 30fps is nice, I much prefer the 24fps for it's cinematic like qualities, that is unless you are producing for broadcast.

[/QUOTE]

I'd go for a D5100 rather than a D90. Price is about the same, image quality is much better and so on.[/QUOTE]

There are lots of advantages to the D5100 over the D90, but
I can think of three good reasons to get a D90 instead.
1. Much easier to learn and use.
2. Much more forgiving Sensor (higher resolution shows movement and user error more better).
3. Much larger lens selection. (except it seems all new Nikkors are now AF-S)

Next thing I am considering is price. If I am a beginner, although I have been reading forums and guides and all for almost a year, is D7000 necessary?

If one of your concerns is whether or not you'll ever use the D7000 to it's full capabilities, save your money and go for the D5100. Sounds like photography is just a hobby for you and you probably wouldn't ever notice the 5100's shortcomings compared to the D7000.

If you turn out to enjoy photography and want to invest more in it, you'll likely want to make your next body a full-frame.

Out of curiosity, if you had no gear at all and wouldn't be able to add anything for a while, which would you rather have? A d7000 and a kit lens or the kit that I outlined?

I know the differences and I've also used both. I felt the D7000 as an upgrade/replacement was kind of a disappointment. I just don't think it's a good value, especially for a beginner on a budget.

In any case, everybody is certainly entitled to their own opinion. That's why Nikon/Canon/etc make so many different models of cameras at different price points. What I posted was just my opinion. Definitely not intended to be the end all/be all.

And i as well. To each his own, sir.

The kit. Easily. I'd limit my creativity if i was flashless.

Out of curiosity, if you had no gear at all and wouldn't be able to add anything for a while, which would you rather have? A d7000 and a kit lens or the kit that I outlined?

And i as well. To each his own, sir.

The kit. Easily. I'd limit my creativity if i was flashless.

To be fair, I'm not hating on the D7000...at least not really. I had a D90 and when the D7000 was released I just didn't think it was enough to warrant the upgrade.

I wanted to go with the D700 replacement but got tired of waiting, so went with the D700 instead. My point being, what I was looking for in an upgrade wasn't really offered in the D7000 so I have kind of discounted it altogether. I should be better about clarifying my points to make sure people understand that it wasn't a good path for me, but might be for their purposes. Obviously, everybody's requirements and budgets are a bit different.

Also, to be fair, since I got my D700, the only time I have taken my D90 out of the bag was when I actually took it out of the bag and put it on a shelf.

Again, I'm down to this problem again, the D5100 is cheaper than the D7000 almost by one time now here. Hard decision.

My friend started out with a d5100 and he says it's not enough for him after about 2 weeks... Get the d7000 and save yourself some money because you would want to upgrade too!

I'm happy with the d5100. I'll probably upgrade some day but not for a long time. Go with whatever fits your budget and works for you. The d5100 isn't a horrible camera

I have both.

I prefer the D5100 for Trips, hikes, and Video.
The articulating LCD is very nice.

I use my D7000 for Event Photography.
With two card slots, more controls, etc. It is better for action.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back