D7000 Sharpness Question

jlg759

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am wondering when using the view finder on the back of the camera to review a shot how many clicks to bring the photo closer should I be able to do before the photo gets blury. The reason I am asking is some times when I use my 80-200 Nikon 2.8 lens I notice when I zoom in on the camera to review a shot it looks soft / out of focus.

One other question if zoomedout all the way say 200mm again how many clicks can I bring a subject in to check for focus.

Thanks

Joe

Post the pics that you don't think are sharp enough for us to look at.

Photo of MarC Engine 12 turned out good. Was not sure why the CSX engine looks a little out of focus am I trying to get to much out of the lens

Attachments

• $JL6_4370.jpg
    $JL6_4370.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 132
  • $JL6_4380.jpg
    $JL6_4380.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 150
The pics come up kinda small on my screen so it is a little hard to make out a great deal of detail on the train. EXIF data says these were taken with a 70-300mm not a 80-200mm. It looks like you were shooting pretty much wide open (f/5.3) in the first one. Lenses aren't at their sharpest when shot at their widest aperture. Try narrowing your aperture about 2 stops (six clicks from your front dial) and see if that helps. The second photo was shot at f/7.1 which may be part of the reason it looks sharper. Was the first photo cropped? What focusing mode were you using? (assuming you were using auto-focus) Do you recall where the focus point was on the train when you took the shot? I'm not familiar with the 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 or the 80-200 f/2.8, someone that knows these lenses might have a better idea of how well these lenses perform.

Most reactions

Back