D7000 shutter speed issue.

Tyguy35

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, I don't know if it's just me or something is wrong but I usually shoot at a higher shutter speed for most of everything but last night I took photos with 30sec exposures after this I can seem to get my camera to shoot over 100 shutter speed. In manual and program. In a slightly dark room it reads LO on program and in manual I have to go to 1 shutter speed. Even in a brightly lit room with ISO 100 I barely reach 60 shutter speed when I go to 1000 ISO I go to about 80 shutter. My aperture is at 3.5 the entire time. Very confused. Even when outside on a bright lit day it only made it to 100 shutter.

Any ideas?

You might very well be a bit "out of range" for the conditions. We've seen this kind of thing before, where the speed gets wayyyyyyyyyyyy slow, and people get a bit confused about just how far they need to go the opposite way, to get back into the "zone".

On Program mode, you CAN just spin the rear command dial to the point where it gets to a speed and f/stop where it WILL work in daylight. You might have to go 40 clicks or more, in daylight, to get back to The Land of The Light, exposure wise.

f/3.5 at 1/80 second at ISO 1,000 is not "all that bright" indoors...it is in fact, about "normal" for most peoples' homes during this time of year in much of North America...your eye can adjust, but f/3.5 at 1/80 at ISO 1,000 is I would say, "Normal, indoor light" at this time of year in most of Canada....if we were in a realllllly bright climate, you might be able to do f/3.5 at 1/200 at ISO 1,000 indoors. I mean like in Jamaica or someplace like that.

I just noticed also the 0 on the exposure meter is blinking. But my +- is at 0.0 do you think I am still way off

Take a photo and see how far off the exposure is. The histogram on the rear LCD will give you a visual confirmation of exposure level.

I am just about to do that then I will post a photo. My photo come out right it's just seems odd that the shutter is so slow

$IMG_2816.JPG$IMG_2817.JPG

Wellllll, that looks about right to me. If you want to use a smaller f/stop, you will need to slow the shutter down correspondingly.

I think I am just crazy then after using it for hours at night for te first time I must be ping nuts just not use to it.

my camera (D7000) is doing the very same thing. Slow shutter speed even when I tell it to fire off fast in manual mode (1/8000) - it does a slow 1 or 2 second shutter.

I have a D7000 (Nikon) and just recently noticed that the shutter is no longer performing at a high level. It doesn't matter what settings I am using, it will continue using the same shutter speed about about 1shot per 1-2 seconds.

Is this something I can fix or should I take it into get it repaired?

This is odd. I never had this issue with my d7000. I was at 1/8000 earlier tonight (testing flashes), then 1/60 a bit later without them.

Maybe update the firmware to see if there is a newer firmware.
Otherwise, I'd say take it in to get it repaired.

Most reactions

Back