d7000 taking long time to "process" RAW images once shutter releases

matt62485

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Seems my d7000 is taking a long time to "process" images I take in RAW. ofcourse, if I switch to jpeg fine it's fine, recycle time is no time. is this a memory card problem or a camera issue? :confused: never really considered what cards I'm using TBH.

Is this an issue that is new and just started happening or are you just noticing it because you just started to shoot raw?

Also, what is the memory card and its specs (speed) you are using?

I've noticed that on mine as well and I'm using Class 10 SD HC cards. It is, naturally, much worse if you have your SD cards set so that data from Card 1 is duplicated on Card 2. When I need the speed I normally turn that off.

It's 1 of 2 things most likely: Either a memory card issue or it has something to do with how you are saving your shots to the 2 memory cards. In theory RAW should be faster, since the camera doesn't do any processing to the images, whereas with JPEG, it has to take them in RAW (that's all your camera sensor can do) and then convert to JPEG and process them before writing to the memory card.

The write time on RAW files is longer, obviously, since they're bigger files. But the 'processing' time before it begins writing should be shorter. Now, if you're having everything saved in duplicate to both cards, that could be an issue, since you're doubling the amount of time it takes to write to the cards.

If it's a sort of new 'all of the sudden' type thing and you haven't changed settings, a card could be going bad.

I think I would agree that it sounds like it could be a bad/cheap memory card. I actually just got back from a trip and had no problems shooting rapid fps shots and video to a 16GB Class 4 PNY card.

I have mine set to Raw on card 1 and jpeg-fine on card 2 wigh no noticeable delay what so ever. Card 1 is a 16 gig class 10 and card 2 is an 8 gig class 10.

It's 1 of 2 things most likely: Either a memory card issue or it has something to do with how you are saving your shots to the 2 memory cards. In theory RAW should be faster, since the camera doesn't do any processing to the images, whereas with JPEG, it has to take them in RAW (that's all your camera sensor can do) and then convert to JPEG and process them before writing to the memory card.

The write time on RAW files is longer, obviously, since they're bigger files. But the 'processing' time before it begins writing should be shorter. Now, if you're having everything saved in duplicate to both cards, that could be an issue, since you're doubling the amount of time it takes to write to the cards.

If it's a sort of new 'all of the sudden' type thing and you haven't changed settings, a card could be going bad.

Yes, that's the main reason for it.

I think that high ISO noise reduction is not applied to RAW. I thinks it applies only High exposure time noise reduction to RAW (not sure but I think so).

However with my D7000 I can shot 10 photos using the camera cache in RAW 14bit so I really don't care about processing and transfer time...

Most reactions

Back