D7000 white balance problem?

droidz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, when I shoot with my D7000, the color seems to go on the green side, whatever white balance i use (even with custom settings). this is especially noticeable indoors with fluorescent lights.

what can i do?

What are you setting the WB to?

Flourescent lighting is green, and there are several different kings of flourescent lighting.

Use a gray card.

Are you using flash?

Flourescent lighting is green, and there are several different kings of flourescent lighting.

Use a gray card.

Are you using flash?

no flash, i tried grey carding on my white macbook, came out really... "bland"?
and i guess these fluorescent lights were designed to look warm and incandescent; so in essence the wb is making an incandescent lighting green.

First, exactly what type of fluorescent lighting are you shooting under?

Second, what are you setting your WB to?

Third, how did incandescent suddenly get mixed in?

Fourth, a sample (or three) with metadata would be fantastic!

First, exactly what type of fluorescent lighting are you shooting under?
it's those new twisty energy saving bulbs. if you know them they cast a much warmer light than usual fluorescent bults; almost like an incandescent bulb, but energy saving :p

Second, what are you setting your WB to?
UH. i tried all the presets, tried messing around with the wb values setting, and tried grey carding with a macbook

Third, how did incandescent suddenly get mixed in?
explained above

Fourth, a sample (or three) with metadata would be fantastic!
​gimme a few mins :p

In any of the white balance choices you can also shift each one toward blue or amber to fine tune.

wait. actually.

wow im so stupid.

once loaded to my computer the files are fine. Ive only had this camera for a while so ive only been taking photos and deleting them. all the photos have a greenish hue on the monitor but come out nice once on my laptop.

uh. guess this turns it into a monitor calibration problem? :S

Use a gray card.

Are you using flash?

and i guess these fluorescent lights were designed to look warm and incandescent; so in essence the wb is making an incandescent lighting green.

Laptops are notoriously lousy for photo editing. Have you hardware calibrated you MB screen?

Use a gray card.

Are you using flash?

Laptops are notoriously lousy for photo editing. Have you hardware calibrated you MB screen?

i think the colors on my MB are fine. the green hues are seen in camera on the LCD screen. i said grey carding as in i used the white color of the laptop as the grey card xD

i think the colors on my MB are fine. the green hues are seen in camera on the LCD screen. i said grey carding as in i used the white color of the laptop as the grey card xD

The LCD screen is worse than a laptop screen. The image you are seeing on the LCD is a processed jpg thumbnail from the camera. It is not a correct depiction of the full size file. If you are using a monitor that is not hardware calibrated, you can chimp and guess, but getting a true color representation is very hard to do. (read virtually impossible)

That is the purpose of hardware calibration. Hardware calibration adjust all aspects of the screen, color, hue, gamma, saturation etc. so you get true WYSIWYG.

Trying to WB on top of an uncalibrated monitor can only exacerbate the problem since you are not seeing true colors to begin with. What you may see as white may not truly be white.

A few tutorials that might help:
Understanding White Balance
Digital Photo Editing Workflow
Digital Photography Tutorial: Understanding White Balance - Photoxels
Monitor calibration and gamma
Monitor Calibration and Profiling

Most reactions

New Topics

Back