D7000 with kit or not?

jessyd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everybody

I'm planning to buy the d7000 ( it will be my first DSLR ever )

But i still have a last question before making the move

Should i buy it with the 18-105mm lens that come with or should i invest in another lens?

I'm planning to buy later a wide angle lens for landscape...

But for a " everything lens" should i get that lens (18-105) or another ?

Budget ? About the same price ( maybe a little over) lets say 300-500$

To all of you that already have the d7000 are you glad of the kit lens or you regret?

Thanks for helping!!!

I just got my d7k Wednesday. It is an awesome step up from the d90. I have no regrets and would recommend the d7k to anyone. As for the lens I did buy it. However, IMO you need to decide what you want to do with the camera to determine which lens you want to buy. Hope this helps good luck and happy shooting.

I bought the D7k with the kit lens and have not regret it.
Sure it's probably not the sharpest but then again, it's not expensive either.
For an inexpensive lens I think the quality is really good. I still use this lens regularly and I'm not planning to replace it anytime soon.

I bought the D7k with the kit lens and have not regret it.
Sure it's probably not the sharpest but then again, it's not expensive either.
For an inexpensive lens I think the quality is really good. I still use this lens regularly and I'm not planning to replace it anytime soon.

I bought my D7000 this week but I chose to go with body only and bought the 16-85mm + 35mm 1.8. Like everybody said, it's a choice you make depending on your budget.

That kit lens was so cheap bundled I bought one with my D7000, used it, then sold it for what i paid for it when i got my 24-70, 70-200. Its a good lens too, I suggest take the bundle.

Hi everybody

I'm planning to buy the d7000 ( it will be my first DSLR ever )

But i still have a last question before making the move

Should i buy it with the 18-105mm lens that come with or should i invest in another lens?

I'm planning to buy later a wide angle lens for landscape...

But for a " everything lens" should i get that lens (18-105) or another ?

Budget ? About the same price ( maybe a little over) lets say 300-500$

To all of you that already have the d7000 are you glad of the kit lens or you regret?

Thanks for helping!!!

What do you like to shoot? Does it genuinely need to be an "everything" lens?

There are basically 3 main categories of zoom: Wide, normal, and telephoto. If you want to cover all 3 with one lens, the 18-105 isn't a completely horrible way to go. For a bit more cash you can grab the 18-200. Neither is a "great" lens, though, they're simply trying to cover too much ground. If you can drop one of the three categories, i.e. get a wide-normal or a normal-tele zoom, your options open up.

On the wide to normal side, I've been eyeballing the Sigma 17-50, which B&H has for about $600.

Bought the D7000 with that kit lens. Bought a 18-200 to replace the 18-105. Using 18-105 on D5100 body we purchased. Wife and I are using all for local Saturday night racing pics, with SB-700 on both.
I like the lens.
The only other lens we have purchased is a 50 1.8D for some portrait shots. Love that lens on D7000.

I bought the D7000, its a good camera but put this in mind, it is not for a professional ! I would go with D300 or if you need full frame go with D3.

I bought the D90 with the same kit lens in 2008. I thought it was a good lens, but at that point I didn't know ANYTHING. You'd be better off getting just the body and getting yourself either the 35 f/1.8 or 50 f/1.8. Both great fast primes, both a whole lot sharper than the 18-105mm. The 18-105mm is soft to really soft throughout the focal range, and suffers from considerable vignetting.

If you want a "do everything" lens, save up for a while and get the 28-300mm. It has some of the weaknesses of the 18-105mm, but it's a much larger focal range.

I would buy the body with the 35mm 1.8g. The 18-105 is decent but it has a plastic mount and its a little soft. The 35mm prime you will love!! Its a great lens great bokeh and its a F1.8 lens. You will always be able to use this lens. Plus it will help you on your learning curve.

As far a profesional camera I do not agree, You can get very professional quality images. I think many people who know how to use their camera right could get a better quality images on the D7000 even a D80/90 rather than someone who does not know how to use their full frame or pro body cameras.

Cameras do not make you better or image quality better you do and the lenses you do and how you use them. Although I am not a pro I have sold many many prints starting from my D90 and now my D7000. I still think my D50 was the shiznit and had awesome image quality. I also know of a studio in california that uses a bunch of D90's as there cameras and you would be surprised at what they can do. You might not be able to take them into the rain and desert with dust winds which a pro body you could. Also keep in mind that the D7000 is magnesium alloy weather sealed body and has a better sensor than a pro body D300. Infact the the D7000 will out perform the D300.

Point is it is a good camera. I myself love it and do plan on upgrading to full frame but will wait to see if the D400 is going to be full frame like some rumors have stated.

my 2 pesos

I bought the D7000 with the lens kit and loved it. I've recently upgraded to the 18-200mm lens and now i'm in heaven

I would buy the body with the 35mm 1.8g. The 18-105 is decent but it has a plastic mount and its a little soft. The 35mm prime you will love!! Its a great lens great bokeh and its a F1.8 lens. You will always be able to use this lens. Plus it will help you on your learning curve.

As far a profesional camera I do not agree, You can get very professional quality images. I think many people who know how to use their camera right could get a better quality images on the D7000 even a D80/90 rather than someone who does not know how to use their full frame or pro body cameras.

Cameras do not make you better or image quality better you do and the lenses you do and how you use them. Although I am not a pro I have sold many many prints starting from my D90 and now my D7000. I still think my D50 was the shiznit and had awesome image quality. I also know of a studio in california that uses a bunch of D90's as there cameras and you would be surprised at what they can do. You might not be able to take them into the rain and desert with dust winds which a pro body you could. Also keep in mind that the D7000 is magnesium alloy weather sealed body and has a better sensor than a pro body D300. Infact the the D7000 will out perform the D300.

Point is it is a good camera. I myself love it and do plan on upgrading to full frame but will wait to see if the D400 is going to be full frame like some rumors have stated.

my 2 pesos
As to whether the D7000 is suitable for professional use, I question the "entry level" classification of it as well. One of the main things I would consider if I were a pro (which I'm not) is Factory tested shutter life. The D700, D300, D300s, and D7000 all have the same 150,000 actuation factory tested shutter life. It is weather sealed, has double memory cards, and just about any accessory a pro would need. I have yet to see what it lacks as a professional camera. I have a good friend who has been a wedding/event pro for the past 30 years. He went from an RB67 with a potato masher to a D7000 with the 18-105 and a SB900 and is totally happy and so are his clients.

Thanks for your help!! i think i will go for the kit to first get use to the camera and then i will invest in a better lens...

Last question for you guys

Should i go for 18-200 or 18-105 ?

I'm planing to travel only with that lens...

I know it depends what i like to shoot but by traveling you do really evrything starting at some ruins in the morning, go for a walk in the jungle with landscape and wildlife, finishing the days taking picture of locas and town sight.. Etc

Thanks for your help!

I've got a one year old 18-200 VRII that's gonna hit the for-sale pages and/or eBay in the next week. If you're interested, let me know.

Most reactions

Back