D70s - Looking for a new Lense

TurboRabbit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, My uncle gave me a Nikon D70s in Jan 2009 and just fell in love with it. He gave me the Nikon D70s w/ 18-70mm lens. Im in the market for a zoom lens. I do have a budget of $400 MAX!. I work for Rezmoto - Rezolution Motoring LLC. which is a free online Euro-Car magazine and we goto all these cool car shows, track days, and do private photoshoots. We have our own photographers, but I gotten into automotive photography as a hobby and tag along with our photographers just to take pictures of exotic cars.

I found this Tamron lens.
Tamron | 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Autofocus Lens | AF061N700

Please feel free to give ur comments and experience and input along with other lens u guys feel are better. thank you.

Last edited:
I have the Sigma 17-70mm. The wide angle would let you get more creative. I love my 17-70 and its within your budget.

The OP already has a well regarded lens in this focal range, nothing would be gained by changing to the Sigma. He would be better served by adding to his focal range. Something in the range 55-200 mm or a prime in the 80 to 135 mm range. Something can be had in his price range. The D70 is compatible with a significant number of older 'D' lenses.

It all depends on your feelings as to the 18-70. If you like the range but want better quality, go for a constant zoom. However you might want something wider, or longer.

wow great input guys. thank u

I was kinda thinking about it.. maybe a wide lens would come in handy... are they any good wide lens with zoom?

70-200 2.8 comes to mind. As does the 24-70 2.8, 17-55 2.8.... But all of those are well over $1000.

Try the 80-200 2.8 AF-D. Great piece of glass, sharp, good contrast. AF is a little slow, but other than that it's worth it. If you search around you should be able to find one pretty cheap.

For car show pics, wider will be better since you can't really back up much without getting people walking in front of you. I'd suggest the Sigma 10-20mm to fill the gap on your wide end from the 18-70. 18-70 is a fine lens especially since you'll be shooting outdoors where you can stop down to f/8 (not that the lens isn't sharp wide open).

Also, the distortion you get on the wide end of the Sigma 10-20 will make for some cool effects with the car photography. Oh, and it's only $50 over your budget or if you find a used one it should come well under your budget.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=0&shs=Sigma+10-20+nikon&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=jsp%2FRootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=submit#top

Agree with some of the others that wider might serve you better for cars. Slightly more than your budget is the Tokina 11-16mm lens. It is a constant f/2.8 which IMO is a better choice than the Sigma 10-20 (read low light shots). Maybe stay with your current lens a little while longer and save up another $170.

Hmm, I would think a wide-angle would be better for you than a telephoto for automotive shots. The Tokina 12-24 is around that range. I like it well enough for its price :)

tamron 28-75 2.8 or sigma 24-70 2.8 they are around 350 us and BH but you can get them for cheaper on KEH

That lens is a nice all around lens, but it's pretty slow at the long end--as well as a bit soft. Definitely not worth $350... you can find a used example for $150 or so (I sold mine for $125).

I'm a big fan of used lenses--quality glass does not wear out unless abused. If you don't mind lugging around a heavy "serious" zoom lens, you should be able to find a gently used tamron 70-210mm LD f2.8 for between $300 and $400.

lens4.JPG

KEH.com has this one for $350 in "BGN" condition--if you hold out you can find these on ebay for the same price in mint condition.

70-200 2.8 comes to mind. As does the 24-70 2.8, 17-55 2.8.... But all of those are well over $1000.

Try the 80-200 2.8 AF-D. Great piece of glass, sharp, good contrast. AF is a little slow, but other than that it's worth it. If you search around you should be able to find one pretty cheap.
I doubt that you will find a 80-200 AF for $400 because if you could you would see a 80-200 AF listed in my sig:wink:

plus i rather start with cheap lens and work my way up...

I don't understand that mentality at all. You'd rather buy something, then re-sell it for a loss, then repurchase down the road (i.e. costing you more money) than to just get the good glass in the first place? If that's the case then I personally have no other advice to give as to which "cheap" lens to buy cause I try to do it right the first time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back