D70s Noise Problem

If those pics were taken at the same time withing seconds of each other, why one shutter speed is 1/250 and the other is 1/640 is because something changed. The only think that makes sense given the evidence is that the ISO got bumped up thereby causing your shutter speed to increase to compensate for the extra exposure (reduce light).

It's all speculation at this point I suppose, until we see the Exif data. But there has to be a logical explanation.

Right, there is something wrong with Elements as it doesn't copy the EXIF data across when exporting as jpeg or "saving for web". So I've taken two screenshots of the EXIF data for the raw files.

Once again, I have NOT done any processing of these images in the software. They are "as is" directly from the camera.

Sorry about the large images, its late and I'm tired :p

noise_1_exif.jpg

noise_2_exif.jpg

The ISO has not changed, it was set to manual and is clearly the same in both screenshots.

A.

Your raw editor may be adjusting the exposure without you realizing it. Is there any chance that you could look at the original raw files in a different program?

That is the craziest shiznit I've seen.

I have no idea what's going on there.

Download Nikon ViewNX and open and convert each file with that software (it's free). Post the files converted with ViewNX here and let's see the results.

That exif data is pretty limited as well compared to what you could normally do with something like Opanda. With Opanda, we could see exposure modes, actual iso, requested iso, etc.... Converting with ViewNX should leave all that data intact.

Look at the shutter speeds.. the 2nd one is a stop and half darker. I've never used elements, but it looks like the brightness or exposure was pushed up, which is why there is noise.

Seems to me that the editor is auto-leveling the photograph. Increasing the exposure in post is basically the same thing as increasing the iso in the original shot.

Anubis you may want to fix those links. They are both linked to noise1.txt
Also the ISO value is not in there, but then I haven't looked at it in plaintext before. Is it called something else? Maybe ExposureBiasValue would give ISO250 if your camera has a max ISO of 3200 but I'm guessing here.

I think i just figured this out, my camera's exposure compensation has been set to -3 for ...well who knows actually!? Ooops! So by my understanding it has been under exposing all my shots since god knows when and elements has been boosting the RAW files to compensate. :(

Hate to be the mother of all neighsayers, but according to EXIF that settings was the same for both pictures. Also your camera mode was set to manual. That means that the exposure compensation has absolutely no bearing on your final image, other than the viewfinder would have said your settings were overexposing compared to the camera's own meter.

Most reactions

Back