D7100 and Tamron 150-600

One big problem is your shutter speed. At 600mm handheld along with you saying how shaky you are - the shutter speed should be significantly faster. I shoot at 600mm often and my presets start at 1/2000 (anticipating my subject may move or simply takeoff and fly away).

Try again with a faster shutter speed and don't be afraid to use auto iso to compensate.

Thanks Jaca, I am aware of that, this was only an exercise in checking the focus. Normally, when I use anything longer than my 18-140, it is on a tripod with a remote shutter release if I am trying for anything more than a snapshot.

Well a big part of your issue here might have nothing to do with the lens at all but rather the focus point the camera ultimately selected. Your shooting through a lot of branches here, and just from the looks of things it doesn't appear to me that the camera selected the bird as the point of focus but rather where one of the branches meets the small trunk to the right.

Try mounting the lens, upping the shutter speed a bit, and shooting at an object with a lot less clutter and see what sort of results you get. For a shot like this switching the camera to single point AF and selecting the AF point yourself is usually your best bet, otherwise if your using multiple AF points in a cluster the camera is going to pick the point of highest contrast within that cluster as it's focal point.

Reads like your D7100 is the opposite of my old d7000. All of my lenses need -15 to -20 to snap into focus.

Reads like your D7100 is the opposite of my old d7000. All of my lenses need -15 to -20 to snap into focus.

Good morning greybeard, is this an issue that should be discussed with Nikon, would it do any good do you think?

As long as you can adjust it to be sharp I think you are OK. I doubt if Nikon will give much help with a Tamron lens. My D7000 is notorious for having back focusing issues so I pretty much start at -20 and work my way towards 0. Things usually settle in at around -15

As long as you can adjust it to be sharp I think you are OK. I doubt if Nikon will give much help with a Tamron lens. My D7000 is notorious for having back focusing issues so I pretty much start at -20 and work my way towards 0. Things usually settle in at around -15

I would not expect Nikon to be sympathetic to the Tamron problem but two of the three were Nikon lens. I now have a back focus problem with a Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 D lens. Totally different from the three previous lens and this one I cannot correct the back focus with camera adjustments. Very frustrating.

Most reactions

Back