D7100 back focus and AE lock question

ranchcutter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since there isn't a separate AF On button on the D7100, you have to set the AE/AF Lock button to AF ON in order to use it as a back focus button. Doesn't this do away with AE Lock? Can you not use back focus and AE lock on the D7100?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

SCraig

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
sc-photo-tn.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
If it's the same as the D7000 I think it's one or the other but not both, depending on how you set things up in the options.

TheLost

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
You can re-assign AE lock to the FN button (f2 in the menu).. I always shoot 'AF-ON' (back button focusing) on my D7100

Big Mike

I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Photos NOT OK to edit
Might you also be able to set the shutter release button (half press) to AFL? That's what you can do on a Canon.

SCraig

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
sc-photo-tn.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Might you also be able to set the shutter release button (half press) to AFL? That's what you can do on a Canon.

That's how it is by default on a Nikon if autofocus is set to AF-S (Autofocus - Single servo - only focus once and then stay locked). That's why I've never really understood why back-button focus appeals to some.

OP
R

ranchcutter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
On assigning the Fn button, on the camera there are 5 options...1 Viewfinder virtual horizon, 2 My Menu, 3 Access Top item in My Menu, 4 Playback and 5 None. Am I missing where to re-assign AE Lock here?

DarkShadow

Birdographer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
On assigning the Fn button, on the camera there are 5 options...1 Viewfinder virtual horizon, 2 My Menu, 3 Access Top item in My Menu, 4 Playback and 5 None. Am I missing where to re-assign AE Lock here?

Your not viewing all the pages for custom settings move the pages up or down its there. I had a D7000 which is basically the same menu system so I know its there. this should help you, just scroll down a little. http://cameratico.com/articles/nikon-d7100-tips-and-tricks/

Last edited:
OP
R

ranchcutter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Thanks! When I went to the menu on the camera and it only displayed 5 options under Press and the screen wasn't full, I thought that's all there was. Got it done! Thanks so much for all the comments and help!

Most reactions

New Topics