D7100 back focus and AE lock question

ranchcutter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since there isn't a separate AF On button on the D7100, you have to set the AE/AF Lock button to AF ON in order to use it as a back focus button. Doesn't this do away with AE Lock? Can you not use back focus and AE lock on the D7100?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
If it's the same as the D7000 I think it's one or the other but not both, depending on how you set things up in the options.

You can re-assign AE lock to the FN button (f2 in the menu).. I always shoot 'AF-ON' (back button focusing) on my D7100

Might you also be able to set the shutter release button (half press) to AFL? That's what you can do on a Canon.

Might you also be able to set the shutter release button (half press) to AFL? That's what you can do on a Canon.

That's how it is by default on a Nikon if autofocus is set to AF-S (Autofocus - Single servo - only focus once and then stay locked). That's why I've never really understood why back-button focus appeals to some.

On assigning the Fn button, on the camera there are 5 options...1 Viewfinder virtual horizon, 2 My Menu, 3 Access Top item in My Menu, 4 Playback and 5 None. Am I missing where to re-assign AE Lock here?

On assigning the Fn button, on the camera there are 5 options...1 Viewfinder virtual horizon, 2 My Menu, 3 Access Top item in My Menu, 4 Playback and 5 None. Am I missing where to re-assign AE Lock here?

Your not viewing all the pages for custom settings move the pages up or down its there. I had a D7000 which is basically the same menu system so I know its there. this should help you, just scroll down a little. http://cameratico.com/articles/nikon-d7100-tips-and-tricks/

Last edited:
Thanks! When I went to the menu on the camera and it only displayed 5 options under Press and the screen wasn't full, I thought that's all there was. Got it done! Thanks so much for all the comments and help!

Most reactions

Back