D7100 Buffer Specs

SCraig

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
sc-photo-tn.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well the full specs for the D7100 are circulating now (see Here for Nikon's specs) and for some they are going to be disappointing.

I was personally hoping for a larger (MUCH larger) shot buffer but it's not to be. Down near the bottom the specs show that in 14-bit lossless NEF format in 1.6 crop mode the shot buffer is only 6 frames. The D7000 holds 10 however that is comparing 16mp to 24mp to.

The D7100 is an entry-level camera.

Nikon has redefined a number of entry-level camera attributes by moving some prosumer grade parts to their D7xxx cameras.
The D7100 buffer capacity is essentially the same as the D300s.
Part of the issue with buffer capacity is the increase in the number of pixels on image sensors.

Sort of a - rob Peter to pay Paul - situation.

Last edited:
Kinda makes you wonder if there is going to be another release. Out of all of the newer dslr's nikon has, the largest buffer is in the d4.

The D7100 is an entry-level camera. Expect entry-level specs.

Nikon has redefined a number of entry-level camera attributes, but buffer capacity isn't one of them.
Part of the issue with buffer cpacity is the increase in the number of pixels on image sensors.

Yeah, I understand that, I was just hoping I guess.

That is the one drawback I've found to the D7000. I shoot a lot of sequences, especially at races and airshows, and there have been many instances when that small shot buffer was an issue. It also seems to flush rather slowly to, even with fast memory cards.

The D7000 / D7100 may be considered "Entry Level" but they are also Nikon's premiere DX format camera body, and I'm not interested in a full-frame body.

Kinda makes you wonder if there is going to be another release. Out of all of the newer dslr's nikon has, the largest buffer is in the d4.

It's almost enough to make me consider one ;)

It's almost enough to make me consider one ;)

Go for it. I personally haven't hit the buffer limit yet on my d700.... A few 8fps bursts of spray and pray too with the dogs lol so I am set for now. The d4 or even the d3s sounds very good.

It's a shame about the buffer size.. If you use the 1.3x crop mode you can get 12 shots deep at 7 FPS in 12 bit mode..

"The D7100 is an entry-level camera."

Really? So what are the D3xxx and D5xxx cameras?

"The D7100 is an entry-level camera."

Really? So what are the D3xxx and D5xxx cameras?

Entry level. There's two tiers to their entry level line up.

No. The D3xxx/D5xxx are compact, lower tier entry-level DSLRs that do not have Nikon's auto focus motor/screw-drive system, have only 1 Command wheel, and no top LCD.
The higher 2nd tier is the D90/D7xxx camera bodies that do have Nikon's auto focus motor/screw-drive system in them, plus 2 Command wheels, and a top LCD.

In addition, the lower tier compact Nikon's lack the built-in intervalometer all other Nikon DSLR's have.

FWIW - None of Canon's camera bodies have had an auto focus motor, or a lens aperture motor in them since the introduction of Canon's EOS system in 1987.

Last edited:
No. The D3xxx/D5xxx are compact, lower tier entry-level DSLRs that do not have Nikon's auto focus motor/screw-drive system, have only 1 Command wheel, and no top LCD.
The higher 2nd tier is the D90/D7xxx camera bodies that do have Nikon's auto focus motor/screw-drive system in them, plus 2 Command wheels, and a top LCD.

In addition, the lower tier compact Nikon's lack the built-in intervalometer all other Nikon DSLR's have.

FWIW - None of Canon's camera bodies have had an auto focus motor, or a lens aperture motor in them since the introduction of Canon's EOS system in 1987.

No one I know in the business would pitch a D7xxx as an "entry level" camera--ever.

No one I know in the business would pitch a D7xxx as an "entry level" camera--ever.

Well, it's certainly not a "Pro" level camera so that doesn't leave a lot of other choices.

In general all of Nikon's DX cameras are considered "Entry Level" or "Consumer Grade" with the possible exception of the D300 which Nikon dubbed as a "Professional Grade" DX-format body.

I'm affraid I don't have much choice for my planned future camera I'm going to buy.
It would be a D7xx or D9xx because I need that damn motor for my older lenses to work AF.

They keep the prices higher for these with the motor, but they have no other advantages than the lower tier, my opinion..

I could buy the other bodies too, but than I won't be able to use my older lenses anymore. Always difficult choice to make...

The D7100 is an entry-level camera.

Nikon has redefined a number of entry-level camera attributes by moving some prosumer grade parts to their D7xxx cameras.
The D7100 buffer capacity is essentially the same as the D300s.
Part of the issue with buffer capacity is the increase in the number of pixels on image sensors.

I would think that increasing the buffer size is a fairly easy thing for Nikon to implement so it's probably more along the lines of them simply not wanting to give the entry level DSLR too many pro-like features.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back