D7100 Buying advice

Detroit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm about to buy a D7100, and I would appreciate some advice. I hope to be shooting some weddings as a volunteer.
I would like some advice on the initial setup I should buy, and some less expensive but great quality lenses.

I can buy the D7100 3 ways. Which do you recommend?
(1) The D7100 body only at about $1,150.00.
(2) The D7100 with a 18-140 zoom for $1300.00.
(3) The D7100 with a 18-200 zoom for $1750.00??
Option 2 & 3 throw in a bag and spare battery too.

Any suggestions on an additional lenses? I have been told that the 35mm 1.8 is a great value, and should be added to my initial purchase. Which flash do you recommend? Thanks in advance for your replys!

and some less expensive but great quality lenses.
!

In the automotive tuner world we have a saying

Cheap
Fast
reliable
...Pick two.

It seems to hold for lenses, less expensive, and great quality, there's a trade off in there.

welcome to the TPF board Detroit.

If those are the only options you are looking at and at those prices I'd opt for # 2 with the 35mm

But shooting weddings may drive you a bit nuts .. because most of them may be in low light which the 35mm would be good for .. but I don't do weddings. These are good to read:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...rst-time-sole-photographer-2.html#post3128302

Wedding Photography | BH inDepth

Tips on Getting Better Results with Wedding Photography (Common Sense Photography)

I'm about to buy a D7100, and I would appreciate some advice. I hope to be shooting some weddings as a volunteer.
I would like some advice on the initial setup I should buy, and some less expensive but great quality lenses.

I can buy the D7100 3 ways. Which do you recommend?
(1) The D7100 body only at about $1,150.00.
(2) The D7100 with a 18-140 zoom for $1300.00.
(3) The D7100 with a 18-200 zoom for $1750.00??
Option 2 & 3 throw in a bag and spare battery too.

Any suggestions on an additional lenses? I have been told that the 35mm 1.8 is a great value, and should be added to my initial purchase. Which flash do you recommend? Thanks in advance for your replys!

Why are the D7100 so bloody expensive in the US ?
Here in Canada they sell it for 980$ body only

http://www.blacks.ca/blacks/jump/pr...cat40008/Digital-SLRs/product.jsp?prdId=34331

First of all scratch off option 3, the 18-200mm lens is an ok lens for general use but its nothing more then ok, its a super zoom lens which means very practical but not as sharp as a more dedicated shorter zoom lens.
For 1150$ body only its too much, might as well get it with the 18-140mm lens, its a good general use lens but I am afraid it might be limiting if you use it in low light conditions, for wedding purpuses I am afraid you will need a fast lens which means either a prime lens which means your feet is the zoom or a zoom lens and in that case the cheapest lens I would recommend you would be the Sigma 24-70mm 2.8
A good lens and not as expensive as its sisters made by Tamron or Nikon.
What I would do is sell the Nikon 18-140mm lens which you probably can get 300$-400$ for and then add a bit more and get the Sigma.

But either way I wouldnt even consider option 3, what you can do is ask them if they will give you a deal for the Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 with the camera.
I wouldnt commit to a wedding with a slow lens, you will be taking a big risk if you do getting either grainy pictures or blurry pictures in low light conditions due to slow shutter speed.

Pick #1 and get the following:

35mm 1.8G (about 100 bucks IIRC)
50mm 1.8G (about 100 bucks IIRC)
70-300 (about 150 now on deals IIRC)

I'd go with BBN on this one, since most of your wedding work would be indoors I'd get the body only and some fast glass with it rather than a kit lens. As to flashes, well a true Nikon Speedlight is going to give you your best overall results and have the best build quality, but if you need somethign more budget friendly the Yongnuo flashes work pretty well - I've got a 565EX and it's always done the job for me.

Sorry but I assume IIRC means second hand lenses ?
If you willing to go prime lens then this is a good choice of lenses but the 70-300mm VR while is a fantastic lens is not really sutable for wedding, BTW where did you see this lens for 150? in avarage its about 300$-350$ used.

If you willing to go prime lens then this is a good choice of lenses but the 70-300mm VR while is a fantastic lens is not really sutable for wedding, BTW where did you see this lens for 150? in avarage its about 300$-350$ used.

Also $100 for the other two?

I would love to find somewhere to get this.

IIRC, "If I recall correctly", so he's indicating that these are roughly the prices he remembers seeing them at last time he looked. My guess is from the prices he's probably talking about the older D series lenses without the built in autofocus motors, and of course on the 70-300 mm the non-vr version of the lens which is pretty cheap anymore.

IIRC, "If I recall correctly", so he's indicating that these are roughly the prices he remembers seeing them at last time he looked. My guess is from the prices he's probably talking about the older D series lenses without the built in autofocus motors, and of course on the 70-300 mm the non-vr version of the lens which is pretty cheap anymore.

Well, that certainly would make sense.

Thanks buddy for clearning that up for me, you know English is my second language so I need help from time to time :)

Nikon 50mm 1.8G will be about 150$ used, Nikon 50mm 1.8D will be around 90$ used
Nikon 35mm 1.8G will be around 150$ used
Nikon 70-300mm NON VR is not a very good lens, not recommended, if you looking for a telezoom then the VR model only!!!

D7100 plus a GOOD lens, like the 17-55mm f/2.8 DX-Nikkor zoom.

Yikes.

Yes, IIRC - If I recall Correctly - it had been a while since I looked at prices etc and it seems I was way off. My apologies.

Thanks buddy for clearning that up for me, you know English is my second language so I need help from time to time :)

Nikon 50mm 1.8G will be about 150$ used, Nikon 50mm 1.8D will be around 90$ used
Nikon 35mm 1.8G will be around 150$ used
Nikon 70-300mm NON VR is not a very good lens, not recommended, if you looking for a telezoom then the VR model only!!!

No worries my friend. I often find myself googling stuff like that because my teenager will send me a text and I have to look up the abbreviations to decypher the message. Lol.

I'm going to go against everybody else... Just get the:

D7100 kit w/18-105mm
or
D7100 kit w/18-140mm

depending on your budget.

Play with the camera... use the camera... then decide what other lens you Need/Want.

Most reactions

Back