D7100 Buying advice

[
No worries my friend. I often find myself googling stuff like that because my teenager will send me a text and I have to look up the abbreviations to decypher the message. Lol.

LOL, thank god for teenager kids, keeps us still intuned with how the cool kids talk :mrgreen:

Only my opinion but all those lenses are all too slow for wedding photography,you need some fast and better glass than those. 17-55 2.8/24-70 2.8 if you want zooms?

Last edited:
he's doing volunteer weddings .. or may
I hope to be shooting some weddings as a volunteer.

don't scare him off so soon LOL on top end wedding gear. That's the reason I posted the links instead LOL

everyone has to start somewhere.

I'm going to go against everybody else... Just get the:

D7100 kit w/18-105mm
or
D7100 kit w/18-140mm

depending on your budget.

Play with the camera... use the camera... then decide what other lens you Need/Want.
:thumbup:

oh yeah, I forgot.

If you are in Metro Detroit then we could possibly get together and I could show you the benefits of "fast (expensive) glass"

I have been 35mm old school, and am old anyway but using digital now mostly iPhone, fujifilm, and Samsung. I thought about Nikon D3100 because of entry price and fact I have lots of Nikon lenses off ftn, etc i don't need latest and greatest as probably won't learn or use all features of d3100/3200. Am I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all of the advice.
I bought a D7100 with a 18-140 kit lens.
I hope to buy some primes soon.
Any other advice on lenses or accessories would be great too.
I may be shooting some weddings as a 2nd shooter.
Thanks.

Thanks for all of the advice.
I bought a D7100 with a 18-140 kit lens.
I hope to buy some primes soon.
Any other advice on lenses or accessories would be great too.
I may be shooting some weddings as a 2nd shooter.
Thanks.
Congrats on your new purchase.
Wish you success working as a pro :)

welcome to the TPF board Detroit.

If those are the only options you are looking at and at those prices I'd opt for # 2 with the 35mm

But shooting weddings may drive you a bit nuts .. because most of them may be in low light which the 35mm would be good for .. but I don't do weddings. These are good to read:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...rst-time-sole-photographer-2.html#post3128302

Wedding Photography | BH inDepth

Tips on Getting Better Results with Wedding Photography (Common Sense Photography)

Wasn't option 2 of the 3 a Nikon D7100+ 18-140 lens?

Did you get any accessories with the D7100? If so, which ones? Just curious. I just bought one myself and got a 16 GB card, a battery, and a cheapie sling bag.....which will come in handy.

I have been 35mm old school, and am old anyway but using digital now mostly iPhone, fujifilm, and Samsung. I thought about Nikon D3100 because of entry price and fact I have lots of Nikon lenses off ftn, etc i don't need latest and greatest as probably won't learn or use all features of d3100/3200. Am I wrong?

You do know that the 3100 can only use AFS Nikon lenses unless you want to manually focus Nikon lenses without a built in focus motor lenses right. You will learn all about that body in no time at all it is very basic..........

Thanks, I like to manually focus anyway, but does the aperture need to be fixed at f/16 or 2.8, 1.4, etc

The D7100 is a great camera. If you're going to do wedding photography, buy some prime lenses. When you start getting paid, rent a back up D7100 and attach a prime lens to each camera and switch back and forth keeping the unused camera hanging at your waist. Win. Heck, even if you aren't getting paid, just have the couple cover the rental cost. You can't have your pro camera poop out on you on the most important day of a woman's life.

Most reactions

Back